• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1985 Dodge Ram D150 Frame Swap Questions Help!!??............

85Dodge360-4BBL

Reaction score
Hey guys I will be swapping my trucks frame. I own a 1985 Dodge Ram D150 2wd single cab long bed. I will be replacing the frame with a 1990 Dodge Ram D150 2wd Single cab long bed frame. I will be using all 1985 Body parts. Is this a straight forward bolt for bolt swap?? Ie no modifications needed?? The reason Iam doing this is My frame was damaged in an accident. It can prob be straightened, Iam trying to simplify things and get it going faster. I know the 90 is fuel injection. I will be swapping my 85 fuel line, gastank, ect over. Thanks for your help.

Should be a pretty straight forward swap . I assume your just using the 90 frame and suspension and everything else is coming from the 85 ? The 90 "might" have anti lock brake set up for the rear but that's pretty easy to get around .

One other thing I just remembered . The bolt pattern on the axle's "might" be different from the 85 to the 90 . I can't remember if the 85 had the 5 on 4 1/2" lug pattern or the 5 on 5 1/2" . The 90 should be the 5 on 5 1/2" . If they are different then you'd have to use the wheels from the 90 .

The 85 should be 5 on 5-1\2" last 85 I parted was. If not axles should transfer to the 90 housing if not, front rotor should interchange as well.

Here's some pics of my new frame primed,and painted.

Frame Primed.jpg

Frame Primed2.jpg

Frame Painted.jpg

Frame Painted2.jpg

WOW ! That look's like a clean frame ! Good idea taking care of everything now , then you won't have to worry about rust issues later . Plus , I'm the type that hates "just" fixing thing's . Or putting grubby , rusty parts back on something . I'd rather spend the time to clean things up and paint them up while there off . Even if your not restoring the truck , after your done you can step back and say "yah" I did that . Keep up the good work and keep us posted .

I found out the rear end from the new frame is a 3.55 Sure-grip Chrysler 12 bolt. That's a plus also. My orig rear from my 85 is an 12 bolt Chrysler open 3.21 geared. That will give me more gearing for towing, and a sure-grip is something I have always wanted..........

He shoots , He SCORES ! :thumb:

Back