• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1985 Dodge pickup. Opinions on worth...

Va 58

Reaction score
Hey guys, Run across a 1985 dodge pickup, 4x4 318 with the factory wheels on it.
Body is very close to rust free, yellow in color and in damn nice shape. 85 dodge pickup 025.jpg85 dodge pickup 030.jpg would like some opinions on what you guys think this truck is worth 116,000 miles and I think valve stem seals are history. Smokes like crazy. guy is asking 2500 firm... I know that the 85 is the first year for the shift on the fly, and it appears that the common rust above the windshield is just starting. Anything that I should know about this year or body? problems? Thanks for your input.......

85 dodge pickup 025.jpg

85 dodge pickup 030.jpg

It all depends on what these truck's are going for in your area . Do a little research in your area on how much people are getting for these truck's . In my area , you could get $2500 for that truck sence it look's so solid . Oh yah 85 is'nt the first year for the shift on the fly . That truck should have a 208 T-Case in it which means to put it in 4 wheel drive you have to stop and put it nutral and then shift it into 4 wheel . The shift on the fly ment you did'nt have to stop to lock in the 4 wheel . That came out around 89/90 . Your probably thinking of the auto hub's which started in 85 not shift on the fly .

It all depends on what these truck's are going for in your area . Do a little research in your area on how much people are getting for these truck's . In my area , you could get $2500 for that truck sence it look's so solid . Oh yah 85 is'nt the first year for the shift on the fly . That truck should have a 208 T-Case in it which means to put it in 4 wheel drive you have to stop and put it nutral and then shift it into 4 wheel . The shift on the fly ment you did'nt have to stop to lock in the 4 wheel . That came out around 89/90 . Your probably thinking of the auto hub's which started in 85 not shift on the fly .

Thanks for the input. More of a muscle car guy. Also thanks for the schooling on the "shift on the fly thing" That I didn't know...

In Wisconsin here that truck would go for more, so based on my geographical location that truck would be a steal.

That looks like a pretty good deal. Check the rust as best you can.. where theres a little rust theres usually a lot more behind it. Check for a loud "clunk" when shifting in fwd or reverse. 9 1/4's have problems with the pinion crush sleeve. They can be loud and last forever so long as you dont do hard towing or rough off roading. If you buy it I suggest you take the auto hubs apart, clean and grease liberally, those hubs can be a little problematic when they get old and dry.

Ive had quite a few Rams and I have seen the 241 (shift on the fly) as early as a late production date 87, every 88 Ive had, had the 241.

Back