• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1985 d100 Upper A Arms

Rick Roth

Reaction score
I am working on a 1985 Dodge D 100 short box 6 cylinder. This truck has rusted out upper A Arms. I have found little options for replacements. I can get 1991 Dodge 2500 diesel a arms used very clean and priced right. Can I get these arms to work? I'm not sure,but I think ball joints maybe one difference. I am looking for Ideas to get this truck back on the road.

Thank you
RRRed

Hauled off all the 1/2 ton stuff years ago so I am of no help as for parts. But yes would not even think 1500 or 2500 stuff would work. Entirely different suspension system than the D100 or D150 parts you are going to have to find.

I believe you can use those diesel upper "A" arms. The upper ball joint may have a larger tapered stud but the threaded collars they screw into are the same. The dual wheel trucks definitely use an upper ball joint with a larger tapered stud. I bought a dual wheel truck that had a lot of wander and clunking in the front end. Took it in for inspection and the mechanic showed me how "loose" the upper ball joint was. Came to find out the prior owner had purchased loaded "A" arms (with bushings and ball joints) from an internet seller for a lighter duty truck and the ball joint was not worn out but was to small and was flopping around in the dually spindle bore. I corrected it by simply replacing the upper ball joint with the correct one. Point being the "A" arm itself, from a lighter duty truck, fit fine other than the tapered stud of the ball joint. Also, there are likely suppliers like Rock Auto or E-bay sellers selling (Chinese made) replacements for a reasonable price for your specific application.

th?id=OP.v5lr0jwmT2HuOw474C474&o=5&pid=21.jpg
th?id=OIP.2atiMjPt8WJXYfZ0wW61jAHaFj&w=213&h=160&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.jpg
Picture on the left is a 1500 arm. The one on the right is a D150 arm. Don't think they will interchange.

@ 7mopar - I agree these arms won't interchange. The one on the right is the "loaded" upper A arm that I believe is commercially available and I referred to. The "A" arm on the left is for a later model truck, and probably 4 WD as I don't recall seeing a Gen 2 Dodge 2WD (1999-2002) utilizing Aluminum "A" arms. I'm absolutely certain (100%) that no Dodge truck, of any weight class, 2 or 4 WD, from 1972 -1993 ever used aluminum "A" arms in their suspensions.

Four wheel drives where on leaf spring in 85 so forget about looking at upper control arms from them to fit a 2 wheel drive truck. Even though the aluminum arm is aftermarket the design is still relevant to that of 1500 series trucks and nothing like the D150 arm on the right. You could just buy on I guess and prove me wrong.

go to mopar partsgiant and look at the parts diagrams. these are the diagrams that the dealers all use. trucks go back to 1984.

Back