• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1980 trim removal help

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
I am starting to take apart my 1980 D200, that I have owned since May 20, 1980. I have purchased a '78, that is in better shape.In removing the upper chrome trim, that is on the box, I can't figure out how to access the screws, that hold it on. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Can you post a picture and refresh our memories as to what this trim would look like?

Are you talking about the upper trim that's on the cab corner, the doors or on the fenders ? Or all the above ?

I don't know how to post a photo, but the moulding is about 1/2" wide, and goes from the front fender, to the rear of the box, and wraps around the top of the taillight.I can remove the front piece, through the engine area. The door part, by removing the interior trim. But I cannot figure how to access the nuts, on the part that goes around the box. Thank you.

I just got my internet going again after quite some time. You may have already found out how, but the upper trim on the bed has a plastic plug that pops into a home at the front. The plastic thing will probably break off when you pry it off. At the rear is a nut that can be accessed by removing the tail light lens. It's probably rusty and it may break off where it attaches to the trim itself. I make new ones cutting a rectangular piece of 1/8" aluminum, boring a hole in it and driving a 3/16" carriage bolt into the hole. Ace Hardware has the bolts.

Thanks . I thought I'd be able to get at the rear, through the taillights, but I couldn't figure out the front, and I didn't want to damage it by prying on it.

Back