• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1979 Little Red Project

440RUNNER

Reaction score
Going to give this a shot but will probably be long periods between post as i work overseas. I did go back to Texas for Xmas and managed to find me a Little Red that was stored behind a Barn in North Texas for 20Years. It looks like someone started to do some work on it at one time because the frame was really clean and had been painted. I also got my hands on a 1979 Stepside with some front end damage but had a mint Cab and box so between the two i should be able to put the Little Red together without to much difficulty.

IMG_1943.jpgIMG_1947.jpgIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1953.jpgIMG_2013.jpg1979 D100 wrecked 6.jpgIMG_1813.jpg

I Also found a good 360 if i decide to go Small Block but right now leaning towards dropping in the 400 Big Block i pulled from my Roadrunner and coupling it to a 4 speed.

IMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpg

Can't wait to get started but looks like it might be Spring before i do and will also need to build me a Garage. I have a RV storage unit 65 X 15 that i usually keep my Truck and trailer with the Roadrunner in however i didn't want to leave the Yellow truck outside so i stuck it in the Trailer and kept the Roadrunner at Home. Between parts left over from the Roadrunner and the two stepsides i now have stuff all over the place so going to need a place to consolidate. Have plans for a 30 X 30 Steel garage with full 18 ft height so going to add a lift as well.

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

1979 D100 wrecked 6.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

:thumb: If the 'Lil Reds were bringing big bucks I'd say you should stick with a 360. - But because they're not I'd say build it however you like. If you've got access to the original motor rebuilding it would be my first choice. Good luck!

Personally I like to stay with stock...up to a point that is. If you were building the truck strictly for shows, then of course you'd want to stick with the original engine. For me that can go too far when the judges deduct points for things like not having the correct bolts. Jeez! Of course with a well restored show truck you would need to trailer it everywhere lest it get dirty, which for me takes all the fun out of having the vehicle. As for me staying with stock up to a point, what I mean by that is I'm adding original options to my truck that it didn't have when new, like cargo light, clock and so on. The original '77 318 was bad and the 360 engine I built is a mixture of '77, '80, '85 and '86 parts. It has a Qudrajet carb, which was correct for the '85 and up, but not the '77. But, everything was used by Chrysler and while a show judge could pick out the incorrect parts, to most people everything under the hood looks like it was put there by the factory.

Now when it comes to something like carving up a frame with a torch to stuff a Chevy engine into, to me that goes too far. To often the swap is shoddily done or given up on and the car junked. When I bought my '60 Studebaker Hawk, someone had removed the original 289 and installed a 283 Chevy. The transmission rested on the rear frame crossmember, unattached. Fortunately only one motor mount bracket had been torched, but what served as motor mounts were a piece of slotted generator bracket bolted to the engine on both sides and welded to the metal motor mount bracket. One weld was busted and the only thing holding the entire engine in place was one weld less than 1/2 inch long. Someone had tried to stick a Pontiac engine into the extra parts car and totally destroyed the frame with a torch. What some people call modifying I call butchering. Done right, modifications can be unique, interesting, functional and sometimes an improvement (for the needs of the owner.) Too often they end up with a restorable vehicle being sent to the crusher.

I have seen it to many times someone buying a running vehicle in drivable condition thinking it needed a complete restore . Soon in parts all over the place and the next thing you know it is gone just because it became to time consuming and to expensive to put back together. To me it makes more since to keep things in manageable stages and enjoy driving it than to have it set in discourageing peaces. I think you have it in hand and to some of us the build is just as enjoyable as the complete project afterwards. Good luck with the build.

I've been doing a frame off restoration of my '77, which included disassembling both it and a parts truck. Plus I had a total of 4 engines I used plus years of other parts collected. I was able to keep most parts separated and more or less in order, but what I should have done before I started was to acquire a bunch of boxes of various sizes and then box up and label the contents. For smaller parts I used a bunch of plastic gallon ice cream buckets. One was full of cab mounts and bolts, another a complete set of engine bolts, a box with tail light assemblies and lenses, a small box with the little plastic pieces that hold the trim on and so on. 15 months later I have the entire front half done, but I still have no idea of what ever happened to the return hose on the power steering pump. I did find the dip stick hanging on a nail behind a hand saw, but only after I'd already replaced it. Stuff has a way of disappearing, especially over time and a neat and orderly way of keeping the parts together and inventories is really helpful. Too bad I didn't think this out better before I started.

Some day I need to post some pic's of the 82. Parts from 4 trucks 86 to 82, 1 89 dodge van and 96 Chrysler buckets. All under body work complete and painted. The top side is white, red and rust color due to lack of shop space. Overdrive is still in the works possibly next winter. Really need to log what parts and year for the next guy if there is a next guy. My local NAPA store no longer ask for the truck year just the part year and model. So be expecting some pic's some time when the weather warms up and the mud disappears the pressure washer has been winterized and will not be out till the frozen tundra has passed.

I believe my "donor" list on my D150 is up to 16 now. That will grow some more when I get the replacement bed from an ex-Army truck and trim from others. It has some rust, but is WAY better than the current bed.

7mopar: i know wha you mean by logging all the parts because i went through my last project (Which is still ongoing) and took that as a lesson learned. Because i am away from home for extended periods i sometimes get in a hurry to finish things up before leaving so i found i would be missing parts or couldn't find themfor days so my plan this time (Especially with two complete trucks) is to bag and tag as much as i can. The other thing i learned from my Roadrunner project is also they never are finished. You always find something new you want to do. Below is a picture of my 73 Roadrunner with 500 dual quad stroker. I hoping not to get as wild with the power train on the truck so planning for 400 4 speed with aluminum heads and a not to wild cam.
IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Started back on the parts truck today but man was it ever cold here in Texas. 39 Degrees with a cold northerly breeze. Stuck it out for a few hours but man i'm not use to this cold. Must be getting old. Going to use the Cab from this Truck and the two Rear Fenders but all other parts will be from the original Little Red. I could have used the original Little Red Cab but the floor was gone and the roof had some rot around the front Drip Molding. This Gold Truck is like new and still wears its original paint.
IMG_2026.jpgIMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Hmm, got up to 39 today here in Missouri and I thought it was warm. I guess 39 degrees is colder in Texas than it is here. I bet 39 would be hot in North Dakota. Just giving you a hard time.

Solid looking yellow truck you got there. Looks like it has the same add on air conditioning system as on my truck, ARA brand I think. Is that a big honkin' tach on the right side of the dash?

Spent a couple of Hours today getting the Seat / Seat belts out and cleaned out the Cab. The floor was pretty much as it was when it left the factory. Very Clean.
IMG_2035.jpgIMG_2039.jpgIMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

Started back on the parts truck today but man was it ever cold here in Texas. 39 Degrees with a cold northerly breeze. Stuck it out for a few hours but man i'm not use to this cold. Must be getting old. Going to use the Cab from this Truck and the two Rear Fenders but all other parts will be from the original Little Red. I could have used the original Little Red Cab but the floor was gone and the roof had some rot around the front Drip Molding. This Gold Truck is like new and still wears its original paint.
View attachment 3713View attachment 3714

LOL , I can relate . Well kind of . It was -9 this morning and we've gotten about 102" of snow in the past month / month and a half with more on the way tomorrow . I haven't got anything done on my Warlock myself . Can't wait for warmer weather .

That looks like a real clean cab. What are you going to do with the frame when your finished pulling your parts?

The Frame is actually bent in the front so i'm going to Scrap it when i'm finished. I was actually thinking about cutting it in fron and behind the Cab and putting large casters so i can wheel the Cab and Box around while i work on the little red Frame. I'm going to use the rear Fenders/ Steps and maybe the tail gate and then sell the box. I have two of everything so going to use the best of both and when finished sell off whats left.

Back