• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1978 LRET 4X4 440 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

696pack

Reaction score
Contact seller
Thinking of selling my LRT. What is the current market value? Interest? Offers?
Here is the info on the truck.
Power steering
Power Disc brakes
A/C works, still on R12 but needs charged
Auto trans
Bucket seats with console/seat
AM/FM and I also have an AM/FM/CB that comes with.
Custom made roll top bed cover not shown in the pictures--it was $1500.
Receiver with round wiring plug.
HD rubber bed floor cover to protect very nice refinished wood floor
Tires have about 3K miles on them.
No lift kit, this is the factory height of the 4X4 truck in 1977/78
It has a spare tire carrier and spare tire mounted under the truck as was available from the factory in 1979 but not in 1978.
It has the original air cleaner with decal in better than fair condition but does not have the fresh air tubes but I do have the core support adapters.
Zero rust ever.

1978 restored about 15 years ago. Restored and only driven about 5K miles and then stored. I bought it about 4 years ago.
When this truck was repainted the owner said they used the factory code but it came out looking more like Hemi Orange than Canyon Red. It is still the original color under the hood.
I have put less then 10K miles on this truck since I bought it.
Was already converted to a 440 when I got it and I have rebuilt the 440 and trans about 5K miles ago.
I converted it to 4X4 with a 1977 4X4 donor truck.
The paint is better than fair (very respectable.)
Finish on tailgate wood is beginning to flake since the pictures were taken and the rear bumper now also needs replacing/straightening/rechromed.
Interior is in good shape but the the carpet needs to be replaced since the 4X4 conversion as it is too short on the sides due to the larger tunnel hump.
This truck drives great and has a very short turning radius compared to when it was 2X4.
This truck ALWAYS gets comments and questions.
I have WAY more money in this truck than it is worth but that is the way it goes.
darryl@sedonarental.com
Darryl 928-277-4692

LRT.jpg

LRT2.jpg

LRT3.jpg

LRT4.jpg

LRT5.jpg

Maaaaan , I wish you were closer .

Maybe I missed it, but how much are you asking for it?

your LRT is in Good condition man...
and its looks are wonderfull so you will get good price in market
All the best for your sale

Just prepare yourself though . If that is a true lil red your gunna get a lot of purest out there saying you ruined it and it's not worth anything because of your mod's . Beleive me I'm not one of them ! I'd buy that truck in a heart beat ! And if you were closer and I had the money , We'd be talking money allready .

Yes, I exspect that from the purists but THEY need to understand that there are far more people in the hobby that could care less about modifications. They forget that the factory muscle cars and trucks were born out of the car companies recognizing the core group of hot rodders that had been converting/upgrading old cars with engine/trans/suspension changes.

4X4 vehicles are VERY popular and why would someone other than a purist complain about a 440 upgrade over a 360? The rest of the truck is still factory LRET. They did not make a factory 4X4 LRET but this is exactly what it would have looked like if they did.

Other than the purist the REST of the hobby recognize the cost associated with these upgrades and the chance to buy and already done truck that they can just buy and drive. For anyone that has taken on a project like this they understand what is involved.

Beleive me I understand what you went thru with your build and again It's A NICE truck . My 79 started out life as a two wheel drive as well .And it's funny because my truck is sitting on a 77 frame to . I only built this truck because I missed the 79 440 lil red I was forced to get rid of . I was just trying to give you a head's up because I know first hand what ( I call ) purist are like . I got all kind's of crap when I owned my 69 Charger RT because of the way I built it . Then when after about 30 years when I went to sell it , I got even more crap . As far as I'm concerned , you should build your pride and joy the way "you" want and injoy it and if anyone has a problem with that , then they should get in there little toyota or something and go away ( far far away ) ! lol

I don't have an asking price, the post is a "what is it worth."

My mistake! I thought that since you posted it in the FOR SALE section that You might have some idea what you would sell the truck for. So I'm guessin that you're fishing and its worth somewhere between $5.00 and $500,000? Leaning on the high side of course!
I'm not bustin your balls, you have an awesome looking truck that looks to be what I might be looking for but without a Starting price a potential buyer has no idea if the truck might be in their price range.....

I almost began this thread of my WIW with purist need not reply. I posted this same info in a couple of other sites (purist) and got all the "you have ruined the truck" "it is no longer a LRET." I did not really comment however it IS still a LRET with Mopar factory type upgrades that the factory chose not to offer when it was new.

I never really understood why the factory did not at least offer the 440 as an option on the LRET since it was to be the utimate performance vehicle for 1978 ESPECIALLY since you could order a NON LRET with the 440.

I understand purist and how they think and why they think that way. Unfortunately, they are unbending and don't have any room for anyone else's point of view. What they DON'T understand is that they are actually in the minority from the rest of the old car hobby. Many people don't realize that because the purists are the ones that make the most noise and flap their lips on the Internet and everywhere else. If you have ever tried to sell a car to a purist you will find that they will beat you up over petty things and want to pay you LESS than everyone else but they are in the minority and wonder why they have trouble finding a car to buy. They want it all THEIR way and at THEIR price.

My mistake! I thought that since you posted it in the FOR SALE section that You might have some idea what you would sell the truck for. So I'm guessin that you're fishing and its worth somewhere between $5.00 and $500,000? Leaning on the high side of course!
I'm not bustin your balls, you have an awesome looking truck that looks to be what I might be looking for but without a Starting price a potential buyer has no idea if the truck might be in their price range.....

You have a PM

Well-if you didn't have purists,then you might as well say that you have a stepside instead of a lil red.As you know, lil reds are worth more than utiline trucks on an average.Clones are clones no matter how you look at it.Whatever a guy does with his vehicle is his own business,I like to look at all of them.Good luck with the sale-I hope you get what you want for it.

Well-if you didn't have purists,then you might as well say that you have a stepside instead of a lil red.As you know, lil reds are worth more than utiline trucks on an average.Clones are clones no matter how you look at it.Whatever a guy does with his vehicle is his own business,I like to look at all of them.Good luck with the sale-I hope you get what you want for it.

I am not bashing purist here. I am just saying that when it comes to selling one of MY vehicle total stock or not I don't exspect to sell it to a purist and infact will not spend much time with them as I would consider it a waste of time.

How many old Road Runners do we have out there that have had their 383s replaced with a 440? My guess is that today more of them than what is left with their original 383s. It has VERY little effect on it's value unless you are comparing it to an OEM resto car. It is STILL a RR just with an upgraded Mopar correct engine. We are lucky to have a V.I.N. with our Mopars to tell use what we have. My LRET still has the original V.I.N. it was born with and proves it to be a real one not a clone. A modified one though. It was built buy the factory to be a hot rod truck so what is the harm in up grading it to a BIGGER engine? 4X4 was an option throughout the truck line but not on the LRET, I suspect because of the extra weight of it's effect on the performance. My 440 upgrade should over come the weight difference.

Yes, I could have started with a regular 78 4X4 stepside truck and cloned it into a LRET. The truck I bought already had been upgraded to the 440 and was partially restored already which SHOULD have allowed me to do it less expensively. Unfortunately in my case and set of events that took place with this truck I am BURIED in it financially.

Love your truck! I don't care what it is you can't please everyone. If the purests can't stand it then they should buy it and then change it to how they would want it. I have two 78 Dodge stepside shortbed. One has a non stock 383ci big block. The other one has a stroked 400 ci big block. No it's not stock It has a killer cam lope with the headers and everything. It wouldn't be for everyone but it will turn the heads of real hotrodders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back