• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1977 Dodge W100 Grounding issue

sugna66

Reaction score
Hello,

I have run into an issue with our little Dodge 4x4. It seems that it doesn't want to turn over from time to time. It clicks like a dead battery or bad terminal connection. I've eliminated those possibilities and now believe it's a grounding issue. I know the engine has been out at some point in the last ownership and suspect a grounding strap has been removed. Does anyone know where this would have lived - I suspect somewhere on the passenger side of the engine. I pic would be great. Also is there a grounding strap from the cab to the frame? Any help would be appreciated.

If the relay is clicking then that's where to start looking, power is getting there.
1) Make sure that the connections are clean for the main power wire to it and from it and at the starter.
2) Clean up the grounding surfaces on/at the relay.
3) Replace the relay, they're relatively cheap.

If all that has been done, maybe the starter has dead spots?

Ground the engine block to the frame and the battery. Make sure the starter mounting is clean and there is no paint on the mounting surfaces. Then do post #2.

I like both of the above replies. I like to have the battery grounded to the engine and fender well, engine to frame and fire wall. So everything metal has a ground, I have even added grounds under the mounting bolts of things like the voltage regulator, ignition box, etc....

Get into electronic transmissions it better have a ground from transmission to frame also.

factory grounds IIRC are battery to front of left head, rear of right head to firewall.

Back