• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1977-1979 W150-350 factory diesel pick-ups

Back in the '80s I knew a guy with a '78 half ton diesel with 4 speed tranny. I think he said it would get around 20 mpg and that was in the 55-60 mph days. My D150 with a 318 and automatic would average 16-17 on the road. Considering how doggy the little 243ci Mitsubishi diesel was, I wasn't very impressed. I still think a turbo would have made it a little more feasible.

When my dad was the parts manager at the local Dodge dealer he was allowed to just drive a new vehicle (demo) to and from home ( sounds absolutely insane now days)..I remember one time he drove one of these home...I only remember that one time.. He never drove another one so he must not have been impressed...

I never new they existed, they probably weren't available in Canada - but- great video, thanks Kork340 for posting it.

D150 only listed for a production of two years but were only produced one year Most had a Mitsu engine with a Perkins listed as available too but only less than a handful of them produced I rode in a couple when new with the Mitsu engine Setting the cruise on one meant putting a brick on the gas pedal In doing so one with the wind behind it would go 62 MPH on a level road

It seems that the 354 Perkins diesel was available in the larger D500-D800 trucks according to my '72 Dodge shop manual. Also available were Cat, Cummins and Detroits on the D800. The 354 was used on just about anything you can think of. I have on 2 1850 Oliver tractors, also used on the White 2-105 and 2-110 tractors, on lots of Massey Fergeson tractors, Massey combines, the old JI Case combines (choice of the 354 Perkins or 318 Chrysler industrial) and just about anyting you can think of. A decent engine, although I haven't had the best service out of them. They have dry sleeves and they are a royal pain to remove even with a hydraulic puller. Without a puller you can weld a bead up the side of the cylinder, weld a handle on the sleeve and usually it will come out by hand. I'm sure I'm going to have to remove one this spring, I believe I have a piston burned up on one cylinder. Wouldn't be the first time and on more than one engine.

I seem to remember Dodge using a 6 cylinder Nissan, the same one that IH used in the Scout. I had a Scout with that engine, peppy little rig and got excellent mileage.

A few years back I found on in a yard in Iowa, looked like the one you posted, cant find the pic. They were gutless, much like the ones GM offer in the 80s. About 8 months ago a factory white 78ish diesel RamCharger showed up on the ATL cragislist. At least they had hydroboost, unlike the Rams in the 90s with vacuum assist. 78 was the first year I am pretty sure, denoted by the extra set of holes in the crossmember, 2 for gas, 2 for the diesel, my engine bolted right up to the diesel holes.
Here is my creation, 55,000 mile 91 CTD with IC all stock, advanced timing and added 99 CTD turbo. It will be in the next Mopar Muscle issue. Gets 23 mpg consistently and just made 266/530 ftlbs on the dyno, NOT FOR SALE...

20140809_171235.jpg

20140428_135700.jpg

20140428_135644.jpg

20130928_191930.jpg

Back