• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1976 True Spirit

Gib Warnick

Reaction score
I just picked up a 76 True Spirit- all original- yellow shortbed sweptside. Auto, a/c, chrome slots, green interior. has 65000 miles. Have original shipping sheet with option codes. Anyone have an info on these trucks? Was sold by Dana Bros in Tempe AZ late in June 1976

101_0553.jpg

I love all the special trucks Dodge made in the '70's. With that low of miles, I'll bet it's still in pretty decent shape, too! What kind of cool options does it have?

Nice truck . I remember seeing those truck way back when . And "NO" I'm not that old ! lol But even at 15 I was a gear head working on cars and had a job in a body shop . They also had a truck in 76 called the "spirit of 76" that had the American flag decals . What kind of information are you looking for about them ? If I don't know I might be able to find out for you .

I can't tell from the picture but it should say "True Spirit" on the fender . The step sides also had it on the tail gate . I can't remember if yours had it there as well .

Nice truck . I remember seeing those truck way back when . And "NO" I'm not that old ! lol But even at 15 I was a gear head working on cars and had a job in a body shop . They also had a truck in 76 called the "spirit of 76" that had the American flag decals . What kind of information are you looking for about them ? If I don't know I might be able to find out for you .

Wow- This is the first I have ever seen first hand- only 3 on line images. sold as a test run in LA and San Francisco- same time frame as Warlock- supposedly to see which was better received. this one was shipped to Tempe AZ- I read under 200 one place and under 250 produced on another site.

gib, I also have a true spirit mine is black on black 360 auto ps,pb,ac,in dash tach, slots, 3.21 posi,keep in touch with any info found. this is what I have not confirmed is that 214 trucks were del. to southern calif and az as a test for little reds can anyone confirm this? thanks jetmech

As for the dual tanks, where's the fillter hole for the 2nd tank? I know the early 70s pickups had the behind the seat as the main tank and the 2nd tank was mounted under th ebed along the frame. And at least in '77, the main tank was where the rpevious axulliary tank was and the 2nd tank was also along the left frame rail, only behind the axle. Both filler holes were in the side of the bed and even the ones without the 2nd tank have the rear bulge on the inside bed wall where the filler hose is routed. Just curious as to how you get the fuel into the 2nd tank.

True Spirit

gib, I also have a true spirit mine is black on black 360 auto ps,pb,ac,in dash tach, slots, 3.21 posi,keep in touch with any info found. this is what I have not confirmed is that 214 trucks were del. to southern calif and az as a test for little reds can anyone confirm this? thanks jetmech

Sweet- Can you load up a picture for us? Does it have original paint/stripes?

I have original paperwork with the truck- was delivered to LA and transferred to dealer in Tempe AZ. I contacted the son of dealer- it is closed though the business still exists. But- there are no records

I also have the sheet with all codes/equipment- be happy to photo and make available- just can't right now- had surgery on leg and cant get around for a couple days....

the wheels appear like the one later on the Lil Reds- love to find a nice set I could afford- mine will clean up OK

dual tanks

As for the dual tanks, where's the fillter hole for the 2nd tank? IT SHOWS IN THE PICTURE OF THE TRUCK- HIGHER ON THE BED SIDE- I SCORED AN NOS PAINTED GAS CAP- MILITARY FROM A LOCAL GUY ALONG WITH SOME OTHER STUFF I know the early 70s pickups had the behind the seat as the main tank and the 2nd tank was mounted under th ebed along the frame. And at least in '77, the main tank was where the rpevious axulliary tank was and the 2nd tank was also along the left frame rail, only behind the axle. THE SINGLE TANK ON MY 76 WARLOCK WAS PLASTIC AND ALONG THE DRIVER SIDE FRAME IN FRONT OF REAR. i AM NOT SURE WHERE 2ND TANK IS ON THIS TRUCK- CANT GET TO GARAGE FOR A COUPLE WEEKS-

Both filler holes were in the side of the bed and even the ones without the 2nd tank have the rear bulge on the inside bed wall where the filler hose is routed. Just curious as to how you get the fuel into the 2nd tank.
i AM NOT SURE- THERE IS A CHEAP LOOKING TOGGLE SWITCH ON LOWER DASH TO LEFT OF STEERING WHEEL- CAN'T IMAGINE IT IS FACTORY- AS USUAL, MY IMPATIENCE TO GET TRUCK RUNNING I PUT FUEL IN MAIN TANK- WHICH THEY TOLD ME WAS DRAINED AND FLUSHED- DIDN'T SMELL SO BAD- TRYING TO RUN AND USE IT ALL UP - HOPEFULLY 2ND TANK IS EMPTY

MAYBE SOME ONE HERE ON THE BOARD CAN HELP US

hope your healing goes well, likewise when I get time will post pictures on website, and yes the stripes and decals are still intact. truck not rusty but has rash and in need of repair. also have 78 lil red in same shape. have been a dodge family since I turned 20 . me wife daughter and son all dodge or Plymouth now grandson working on 86 4x4 150 le. only two step children in family and they are corvettes. will keep in touch and take pictures soon thanks again jetmech, P.S. will be in new Orleans for mopar show march and later in las vegas in april driving the newest we own 2010 challenger rt b5 blue.

Back