• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1975 dodge d100 318 auto 2bbl. Mystery electrical lead .

wrsmith1975

Reaction score
My dodge pickup has a wire coming off the choke thermostat which is mounted on the intake and I was hoping someone had a picture of where it plugs into. I have looked high and low and cannot find the other wire that it plugs into. If anyone has any leads please let me know. I will try and post a picture this weekend.

I don't have a photo of one right now, but the wire from the choke plugs into a small rectangular ceramic looking thing maybe 1-1/5"X2"X 1/2" thick. It will be bolted to the engine manifold no more than about 3" away from where the choke shaft come out of the manifold. On the top of this little device are two spade connections, one says battery and the other choke. On the side of it is a small square resistor maybe 1/4" square and 1" long. Teh wire from the choke heater plugs onto the "choke" terminal, but I can't tell you what color wire is connected to the battery connection. My running truck does not use this device and the one that does is scattered in about a million pieces across the farm in three different sheds.

hanks bikinkawboy. I need to post some pictures on here. That choke heater control is apparently missing on my truck.

I'll try to get a photo of one soon and post it. I believe it's supposed to kick on above 50 degrees or so and heat up the element on the choke more quickly, causing it to open quicker. You may already know, but on the older 318s like your and mine, the exhaust crossover passage in the intake manifold is way smaller than on a 360. The spring loaded butterfly valve on the right side exhaust manifold is closed when cold, forcing warm exhaust up through the passage and around the choke, warming it up and causing the choke to open. When that dinky little passage starts to get carboned up, exhaust can't flow through and it takes forever for the choke to open. The rich running that causes creates more carbon which eventually plugs the crossover completely. Every 318 I had needed to have the intake manifold pulled and the passage cleaned out. The only one that hasn't needed it is the 318 on the combine. The industrial versions have a manual choke and the crossover passage is blocked off. As far as your little heater control goes, my folks '73 D100 Adventurer had one, but my '77 D150 and '74 D300 never had one. But, my '77 W100 parts truck has one on its 360. I don't know if the D&W 100s used them because of the stricter emmission regulations that applied to the light duty pickups, which the D150s and up were exempt from because they had a GVW of over 6,100 lbs.

control

Here's photos of the choke heater control. I believe the trucks use the one on the right without the resistor. Can't remember for sure, but the resistor one might be used on cars. DSC_2074_01.JPGDSC_2074_01.JPG

DSC_2074_01.JPG

Back