• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972-76 D100 Stepside "restoration" project help

aspenrt14

Reaction score
So I'll start off by saying I have very limited knowledge and experience with engines and whatnot. My only real experience is changing out water pumps and valve covers.

With that being said... I have always loved the body style of the 72-76 d100 stepside trucks. I had one in high school and loved it.

I am on the hunt for one that is in good shape body wise and have found a couple that I am interested in.

My goal is to turn one into a street/strip truck; that is also street legal...

Both trucks im interested in have 318's. Now I've read articles and posts and threads stating that one can squeeze 400+ hp out of a 318... first off - is it cheaper to start off with a 318 short block and just build up with 340/360 parts, or would I be better off just starting off with a 360 block and put performance parts on?

Also, one is an auto and the other had a 3 on the tree that was converted to the floor. Either case - I want a 4 on the floor. How would you recommend I make the swap?

I'm on a budget of under 5000 for engine rebuild and tranny.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, parts numbers and/or links of where to buy this stuff would be swell!

Welcome Aspenrt14!

Grab you a 5.9 Magnum & do a Hughes cam with some rocker arms & valve springs & a 750 DP on a Crosswinds using stock pulley arrangement or use a Performer RPM air gap & serpentine drive from a 92 & up Magnum truck engine.
A stock 5.9 will make 300 horse with just changing over to a carb most of the time IE "MP 300HP Crate motor"
You can go this direction & have a bunch of cash left over.

We can help you stay ahead of the other brand! Bob

SAM_2934.jpg

Welcome Aspenrt14!

Grab you a 5.9 Magnum & do a Hughes cam with some rocker arms & valve springs & a 750 DP on a Crosswinds using stock pulley arrangement or use a Performer RPM air gap & serpentine drive from a 92 & up Magnum truck engine.
A stock 5.9 will make 300 horse with just changing over to a carb most of the time IE "MP 300HP Crate motor"
You can go this direction & have a bunch of cash left over.

We can help you stay ahead of the other brand! Bob

Thanks!

Do newer engines bolt up without fabrication in older rigs?

Direct bolt in All you need to do basically is what I've outlined above. You will need a LA 360 drivers side motor mount bracket. If you're not going to run A/C use the Crosswind intake & use the money saved to buy a Moroso under drive pulley. A bunch of that 5K can go towards rockers & springs gears & such. Here's a pic of my Professional Products Crosswinds intake. They fit LA or Magnum engines & are $160.00 delivered on Ebay

SAM_3363.JPG

I have'nt looked at my 5.9 in my 97 but I did'nt think the magnum motor's had the ears on the side of the block for the older style motor mount brackets "RCAddict" ? I'm defintily not questioning you , just asking . Because you defintly sound like you know what your talking about with these motor's , but I had to ask .

They have both Bear here's a 3/14/98 block that's sitting on my back porch

SAM_3656.jpg

Hhhhhmmmm , now I'm gunna have to take a look at my 97 . I wish I had known that when the motor in my 95 let go because I have a 89 roller 360 sitting here with only 70,000 on it and everyone kept telling me that because of the motor mounts I could'nt use it .

I did'nt forget you "aspenrt14" , Welcome to the site and your future project sound's great ! There's nothing like a hot rod truck .

You got that right "RCAddict" ! :rockon:

Thanks for all the input guys!

With the newer magnum engines, will I need to run smog, or egr, or computers? I really want to get away from that stuff. Also, what's the benefit of going newer over older?

"RCAddict should be able to answere your question about newer over older . Personaly I would do an older one with a Magnum head swap build . For one reason , both truck's that your looking at allready have them in them and you know the condition of them allready rather then buying blind . As to your question about haveing to run smog , egr , or computers ? If you look back at one of RCAddict's reply's , he showed you a 4 bbl intake that you could run with the magnum head's . So if you set it up as a carb motor the answere is no you wount have to .

Here's a LA with Magnum heads that I'm doing right now for 75' Fury wagon with 59K

SAM_3671.JPG

Hhhhhmmmm , now I'm gunna have to take a look at my 97 . I wish I had known that when the motor in my 95 let go because I have a 89 roller 360 sitting here with only 70,000 on it and everyone kept telling me that because of the motor mounts I could'nt use it .

1989 is an LA engine that uses the front mounts in the block that is pictured on the first page, it doesn't have the magnum mounting spots for the 1995 so it wouldn't of worked as yours bolted differently,

now that being said magnum engines will bolt into the factory LA engine mounts and work fine

Thanks for all the input guys!With the newer magnum engines, will I need to run smog, or egr, or computers? I really want to get away from that stuff. Also, what's the benefit of going newer over older?
Better head flow,roller cam, 300 horsepower made by just adding a carb no smog needed except for what your state requires for your truck. your LA stuff will bolt to it except for the intake. To use your stock fuel pump you will need a cam snout extension kit from Hughes Engines I buy mine from Mancini Racing. I swap everything to Magnum engines that I buy almost. The only reason for the head swap on the wagon is that it only has 59K original miles

I relized that "79dodge4ever" when I looked at the picture and then looked at the 89 360 I have in the garage . I can go one way but not the other .
1989 is an LA engine that uses the front mounts in the block that is pictured on the first page, it doesn't have the magnum mounting spots for the 1995 so it wouldn't of worked as yours bolted differently,

now that being said magnum engines will bolt into the factory LA engine mounts and work fine

Back