• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

08 Expedition

Rusty Junk

Reaction score
Well I am a person that has always kept his vehicle ready to go, that is go anywhere condition. But this last week I got my Ford stuck in the driveway. Now this thing has narly 285/70/17 Goodyears and I'm stuck in 4" of snow with no action from the front wheels. After digging the 6000 lbs truck out I got under it and discovered the rt ft axle assembly was broken and just hanging between the hub and differential. About that time I realized that I had broken the axle over a year ago on ice in a parking lot. Going from ice to dry pavement is a little hard on equipment. The problem isn't that the axle is built to light but the nut and threads that hold the axle in place it extremely small and that's where it failed. Any how one hub, one 4x4 hub and one axle along with a sway bar kit about $450 in parts and we are on the road again......:)

I have changed plenty of the IWE's (lockout), but can't say I have had to change a axle shaft because the end has broken off.

I have changed plenty of the IWE's (lockout), but can't say I have had to change a axle shaft because the end has broken off.
Just the threaded end under the nut on the end of the axle. I'd never seen anything like before either but the amazing thing was it didn't fly apart on the road.
I got stuck in 4" of packed snow last week with the front not helping. So after I got out we got under the truck and found the driver side axle flopping around. Then I remembered last winter on ice in a parking lot spinning then hitting dry pavement, not even spinning hard but just hard enough. Something that I had forgotten about until I put my hand on that axle...

Last edited:
Would not have thought that would be enough to snap and axle shaft. If it is four wheel drive would not be worth the expence.

The only thing I can think of is its better to snap an axle than the differential, it is a 6000 lbs vehicle. The threaded nut is very small and it might have been a just very random fail. I don't know just glad it's fixed and damage was contained to axle, 4x4 hub and wheel hub.
One thing that's odd is the abs light didn't come on with the axle coming out.

The speed sensor is located in the wheel bearing, that is why you didn't have a ABS light. The speed sensor would have had to been damaged to bring on the light.

Back