• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

05 1500 4.7

BUBBAZ488

Reaction score
05 ram 1500 4.7 got hot. I do not have compression in 5&6 cylinders.
Pulled the heads,no bad valves or seats.pulled the pistons out,rings are not stuck,pistons are not scuffed.cylinders look ok.timing chain did not jump timing.

Any body got any suggestions?

Could you have warped the heads or maybe blew the head gaskets ? From what I understand these motors are well known for running hot and overheating issues because of the way there designed with the thermostat , temp sensor being on the bottom and a plastic impeller in the water pump . It wouldn't take much to warp the aluminum heads or blow the gaskets .

Gaskets looked good ,no sign of blow gasket.head showed no sign of leakage but did not check with straight edge.

Also , Back when you did your compression test's . Did you test the cylinders both wet ( oiled ) and dry ? Did you see any sign's of those cylinders possibly not firing causing those cylinders to flood out and in turn washing your rings and in turn a no compression symptom ? I know it's probably to late but an old school trick is to fill those cylinders with compressed air and listen to different parts of the engine . If an intake valve was bad you'd hear the air coming out of the carb ( in your case the throttle body ) . Coming out the exhaust port would be an exhaust valve . Coming out a breather would be a ring . Etc.

Yes, did wet and dry , no difference
switched the coils and plugs to check if firing,no difference
did not do air pressure test.(to late heads are off)
cylinders do not look washed out. No sign of fuel in oil.

I'm stumped . The only thing I can think of it being would be like I said before , either the heads or the head gasket's . One of the things that throw me off is that it's two cylinders across from one another and not side by side . But from what I understand these heads warp "real" easy so anything is possible I guess .

Back