1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

04 Explorer transmission

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Forum' started by bstewartglasgow, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bstewartglasgow

bstewartglasgowNew Member

I cannot locate a dipstick for the tranny on my daughter's '04 explorer! Called Ford dealer...they advised it is a 'closed system' (heard of this with rear ends, but not trannies.) How can you check the fluid level?? Her tranny sounds 'dry' & is grinding badly! I am old-school & have always worked on our vehicles...is this Ford's way of assuring we HAVE TO go to a mechanic?

2. bremereric

bremerericWell-Known Member

I am just guessing but somewhere there has to be a fill plug. They probably fill it to the level of the plug or just below it.

3. wizwrath

wizwrathActive Member

Iam assuming you have a manual trans by the way you are describing your issues, and ive never seen a manual trans with a "dip stick". If you have a auto trans, and i you dont see a dip stick its because they are filled and drained from the drain plug on the bottom of the pan, and yes you can do it at home, the procedures are harder but doable. I highly doubt this should be your concern as regardless of the trans you have, you will need to pull it and replace or rebuild it anyways. And if you take it to a mechanic you should let them deal with it for you.

4. Riverdawg

RiverdawgMember

Yeah, starting at least with my 2002, maybe earlier, they came up with some new plug and no dipstick. Yeah, it some kind of special tool you insert in the middle of the "drain plug" in the bottom of the pan. I can't remember exactly how it works, but what a pain. I guess they update the trans in 04 or 05 too, I've had my trans rebuilt twice now. I believe first around 60k and 2nd time around 142k.

5. 65 sporty

65 sportyWell-Known Member

Old thread but you remove the small plug in the center of what looks like a drain plug and when it is warm you should have fluid drip out. It is a stand pipe in the pan, use a bottle with a nipple to push fluid into the pan. We have a fluid exchanger we use at the shop but you can get it done with a bottle.