• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

'01 Exployer Thermostat Housiing repair

wizwrath

Reaction score
:) Hye guys, just wanted to add something to the "thread"....well my exploder was starting to show some small marks of water droplets on the ground and thought Oh boy because we all know that "water" droplets aint normal (except A/C condensation)....well, I out it off long enough and it did get progressively worse and then decided to dive in and found out the thermostat housing was leaking. First thought is: who in their right mind would construct a high pressure and tension uit out of plastic just to save a few bucks and wieght?!?!? Well, I decided since im in there I might as well change out the hoses (bypass, etc.) and the sensors and of course the housing too, the housing is actually two seperate units. And after research, they are available as a complete unit (with top and bottom, gaskets, thermostat) from Dorman, etc. I also changed out the fan clutch, fan too, since the blades were cracking and about to some apart. Gosh, it wasnt a cheap job, just think about the poor souls out there that has to pay for labor, etc.?? lol.....anyway's, just wanted to share, and feel free to add and/or comment about this...

I experienced the plastic crap to. My nephew's Mustang came with a plastic intake manifold that started to crack at the thermostat housing. We used some plastic repair stuff from the auto parts store and JB weld would have worked to. For his birthday I shipped him a $200.00 aftermarket one made out of aluminum.

Hey bremereric,
Yea, we had to replace those things way more then I would have wanted to do too.....gosh, whats with plastic this, plastic that blah blah blah...lol...I guess its all in the weight savings and cost for those things too....and when you install nitrous and have a tiny back fire....BOOM....and those things even crack on totally stock vehicles too...even the bolts to secure the exploder upper to the lower is a stupid corse threaded screw and the thing was starting to strip on the threads and thats with a calibrated snap-on torque wrench too!!!
Good to hear you went with the aftermarket intake for the stang, those things will increase horsepower too....your nephew is one lucky kid to have you as a uncle!
Have a good one bud : )

Wish I'd had seen this site a few years ago. I just replaced my intake on my 2002 explorer last year. Pain in the butt. The plastic and insulation underneath were all busted and falling apart. Funny though, I went to the a local oil change place for my routine oil change and right after that is when the major leaking started and it took days to even figure out it was really antifreeze leaking. It felt like oil and was mainly parked on the street, (asphalt). I went back a few times and argued with the manager about how they must have spilled oil or didn't tighten the filter. I ended up putting another plastic one on it. Supposedly an improved design. I couldn't really justify the 2 or 3 times the amount for an metal intake.

Back