• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bench Racing 101

Some times it does not pay to question stupidity. Hope you walked away with a good set of Mallory wires.
Yup ! And of course charged him labor . :D This guy had no common sense . I'll tell you how and why he got the Charger the next time I log on . I bet you'll laugh and just shake your head when you read it .

Yup ! And of course charged him labor

Some people I used to work with got new wheels for their Durango and didn't have the combined brain power to ask for the stock rims back for winter use, so they ruined the aftermarket ones after 2 years. I'm sure the dealer sold the stock ones, gotta make money on everything!

Any of you guy's watch Street Outlaws ?

Yes sir. I'm glad they admitted that they have the area blocked off. Trucks and trailers parked everywhere doesn't make for a clean getaway when the pigs roll up lights blazing.

Hearing that story about the Porsche reminds me of one . "Years" ago me and my wife lived way down on the south shore and I had to commute to work . I didn't have a beater at the time to take the 45 min. ride back and forth everyday . So I took the 4:11's out of my wife's 383 70 Dart and thru in a set of 3:55's in to be more highway friendly . One day I come across this guy dressed in a business suit driving a Black Porsche with the wing and spoilers and everything and he "didn't" like to be passed . So here I come in this lil faded blue Dodge Dart with the factory rally wheels and duel scoop hood . The first time , I think he thought I was an easy target as I started to pass him and he looked over and probably said something like "yah right" . He quickly found out that it wasn't going to be that easy as I pulled away on him and he didn't have enough to catch up and pass me . It soon became a thing . Every other day he would see this lil blue Dart coming down the highway and every other day he would try and pass me but never could . To this day , I bet that guy never did figure out why he couldn't pass that lil blue Dart on rt. 3 .
Porsche's have to keep it's 'Rev' on "boil", if you miss it, your done! Nothing like a good old American V8, all about the Torque! Baby!

Yes sir. I'm glad they admitted that they have the area blocked off. Trucks and trailers parked everywhere doesn't make for a clean getaway when the pigs roll up lights blazing.
To the people with a clue , It was kind of obvious they where doing that . To run that many race's and put it on TV to boot , they had to of . It's not like back in the day when we used to run race after race on Fri. / sat. night at our spot and every once in a while the boys in blue would cruise thru and say over the PA , "OK boy's and girls , it time to wrap it up for the night and go home" . And we would all get in our cars and go to our other spot . :rolleyes: What did you think of last weeks episode ?

Aah! Absolutely gorgeous! Is the Dart the same as a Plymouth Satellite?
Thanks , That was my wife's play toy ( next to me lol ) . No the Valiant was Plymouths version of the Dodge Dart .

Porsche's have to keep it's 'Rev' on "boil", if you miss it, your done! Nothing like a good old American V8, all about the Torque! Baby!
That car was fun to drive with the big block ! :D

To the people with a clue , It was kind of obvious they where doing that .
I knew they were doing that, I just got sick of hearing all the bs, "I have my guys all over on the lookout for the cops". "We are trying to find the best piece of road for tonight a race" and in the end we race in the exact same spot as the time before that. I'd love to see that in California, say hello to the Crushed, street racers! I wonder what the cops get paid to do security.

I knew they were doing that, I just got sick of hearing all the bs, "I have my guys all over on the lookout for the cops". "We are trying to find the best piece of road for tonight a race" and in the end we race in the exact same spot as the time before that. I'd love to see that in California, say hello to the Crushed, street racers! I wonder what the cops get paid to do security.
I kind of figured "you" did but there where so many people that didn't have a clue and I got tired of hearing the crap myself as well . I know I'm going to sound like an old fart here . But back when I used to do this every weekend . We had one hot spot we used to go too . It was just off the highway and there was a shopping mall there where we all just hung out in the parking lot , benched raced and set up races . Right at the entrance was a set of lights with two lanes going both ways and the sign for the on ramp was 1320 feet . There was no houses or anything else on that part of the road . When two cars went to line up , we would send another car down to make sure that everything was clear . If he came back with his low beams on then the race was a go . You know , in all the years I ran there , no one ever got hurt and I'm talking about a hundred or so cars on a good night . It piss's me off when I hear about a couple of idiots that think it's like a video game racing thru heavily populated areas and end up cracking up there cars or worse .

The real concern here is that if you want to street race, there are consequences. Period. Even if the cops are holding your hand, you still have consequences. Read more at: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Big Chief NHRA Inverview, STREET OUTLAWS Banned?

from Big Chief's mouth.
Yeah , I had heard about that . Personally I'm on chiefs side . I don't think it's right for the NHRA to do that . They need butt's in there seats and I think shows like this helps them do that .

I never saw a lot of street racing, just didn't care to go find it. I always screwed around with my buddies but we never had much in terms of fast cars that we ran often. (My friend has a pretty underrated 69 Charger he would play with on occasion). I'd always line up my POS so someone had something to run against. We'd pick up some action just cruising around and go from light to light. Never did like real busy areas to begin with so we never presented much in the way of danger. I live in the sticks so I can test and tune by just heading out of town. I do a 1/4 mile blast, turn around and do it again. Run some hot laps, then head back home and crack a beer and look at my primered ride and smile. It's not the fastest or cleanest or any of that, but it's fun and it's only going to get better. I don't have a track anywhere near within 3 hours so I make do. I don't even have anyone to run against, so far. My coworker finally said he'd run his 81 Vette next year, but we will have to wait and see.

Very understandable . I've done both street and at the track . The closest track to me is up in NH , probably a couple hour ride or so . Which is the reason why so many of us ran in the street . Non of us could afford the trailers and such to go up there on a regular basis . Funny , I used to have a friend that no matter what , we could not pull up next to each other and not go for it . Even when we agreed we wouldn't , we did . lol I remember one time , his brother had just gotten a video camera ( remember those ? lol ) and we decided to make a street race video . He had a black 66 Belvedere running a warmed up 440 at the time and I had my 69 Charger . Before we lined up we both agreed not to race for real and keep the cars side by side to make it look like a close race . As where pulling up to the light , he stops and then spin's the tires up to the light . Now it's my turn . I nail the throttle and brake stand the 4 speed and smoked the crap out of the two rear tires , right up to the light . He just looks over in the cloud of smoke and just smiles . The light turned green and we both lunch , keeping side by side and just as I'm shifting into second gear I look over at him and that smile got even bigger as I heard his car kick in for real and he just started to pull away on me when I said "oh hell no !" Not on film your not ! I mashed it in second gear , the tires broke loose again as I walked round him . I think I still got that VSH tape around here somewhere . lol I wonder if I could have that swapped to a disc so I could down load it on the computer ? You'd probably get a kick out of it .

[QUOTE="LocuMob, post: 16829, member: 1784 My coworker finally said he'd run his 81 Vette next year, but we will have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]
I bet you take him !

[QUOTE="LocuMob, post: 16829, member: 1784 My coworker finally said he'd run his 81 Vette next year, but we will have to wait and see.
I bet you take him ![/QUOTE]
He put a crate engine in it last year and worked out the bugs. Man it sounds like a pain in the ass to do any work to that car! It's around 300hp 4 speed and 3:91's. I'm banking on my fearlessness of running my car hard as opposed to his attitude not "it's my dad's old car" that kept him from racing in the first place. Only took me 3 years to get him to even think about it. I'm going to have my buddy tune my carb on the scope (remember those!) again before I run him. He and in are kind of in the same boat in that we have a car, but no one to cruise around with. We work shifts on the same days so we can finally get some cruising in. Cars weigh about the same so it will be interesting. I need to work on my launches with those damn polyglas tires.

Dam, Reading all this really wants me to get my "POPMOBILE" running again. Just got the new trans so I need to put it in. It also has a 440!
PICT0993.JPG

PICT0938.JPG

dart 001.JPG

I bet you take him !
He put a crate engine in it last year and worked out the bugs. Man it sounds like a pain in the ass to do any work to that car! It's around 300hp 4 speed and 3:91's. I'm banking on my fearlessness of running my car hard as opposed to his attitude not "it's my dad's old car" that kept him from racing in the first place. Only took me 3 years to get him to even think about it. I'm going to have my buddy tune my carb on the scope (remember those!) again before I run him. He and in are kind of in the same boat in that we have a car, but no one to cruise around with. We work shifts on the same days so we can finally get some cruising in. Cars weigh about the same so it will be interesting. I need to work on my launches with those damn polyglas tires.[/QUOTE]
You want a lil input ? From what it sounds like . He won't know how to shift that thing . Plus I guarantee he's going to spin like hell when he launch's .So get him out of the hole and keep it . With your car also make sure you check your timing . Set it for full advance . And get rid of those dam tires and get something that will grab . You can also change the compound of what ever tires you get and make them stickier . Oh and by the way , My money is still on you . :cool: ..... Trust me I'm a professional ! lol
IMG_4511.JPG

Back