• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Wood burning stove problems

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
Hey guys' I built one of those 55gal drum wood burning stove kit deals. I used 6" stove pipe and even used some flame stopper 5000 sealant on each joint. I'm still getting smoke In the shop. I really don't see any smoke escaping anywhere. I do have one elbow could that be the problem? I don't know anymore really starting to get annoyed and just deal with the cold.

I'm pretty sure that Is the problem, I'm going to have to re-route the pipe from the way I have It now. I'm pretty sure It has to many bends. Right now It comes straight off the top of the stove 8' then a 90 elbow to a 2' piece that Is horizontal to take It out of the shop then, another 90 elbow and straight up to the top that has a rain cap. I'm thinking that It's the horizontal part with the elbow's. I'm going to change It to a 45 degree angle to carry it out of the building. I'm hoping that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 186
I'd think that would be fine, the bends that is. Air flow is what I suspected originally. Can't remember how we made our burn barrels, it's been too long ago.

Cool Thanks LM I just wanted to make sure that the turns are OK. I'm thinking of adding one of those draft inducers.

Your shop may be too 'air tight'. Like all heat sources that involve combustion, there must be an adequate supply of outside air - preferably from a specially dedicated pipe (6 inch better than 4). Pipe can enter high up and be vertical until near stove - then drop down to vicinity of stove - to reduce undesirable drafts. This fresh air pipe need not be same as chimney pipe as it does not get hot so flex or regular galvanized ducting just fine. In the meantime, open a door or window to see what effect that has :happy:

What Volunteer said. Except i would suggest an air inlet from the outside directly attached to the stove, possibly a 3/8" air pipe drawing outside air to the barrel directly attached to the stove. Otherwise an adjustable room air inlet (like a vane where you can control amount of airflow) just below the feed door on the front of the stove with as Volunteer said a 4" to 6" air pipe drawing outside air into the room.

Back