• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

wiper problems

fossilrider

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Steve aka Fossil, here in Tn.. I have posted here a few times and really appreciate all the help I have gotten. So.... my '78 W150 Power Wagon has been a project and I haven't driven it since I drove it home when I bought it about 5 months ago. It had several small issues that I have been sorting out and I am just about done. However, the last thing I need to do before I start driving it is the wipers. I struggle with electrics and can't figure out the issue here. I have installed a new wiper motor, wiper switch, arms and blades, but all I can get is fast speed and it will not park the wipers.? I just now saw a you tube video that shows how to "time" a new motor to the arms (which I didn't know had to be done). This is the first wiper motor I have ever had to replace and didn't really think about that. Maybe(?) timing the mechanical part to the motor will fix the parking issue but I doubt it since it isn't parking in the wrong place: it isn't parking at all. I don't know if there is anything else in this system (relays, etc.) or not. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Never heard of timing the motor. But remember, just because a part is new, doesn't mean it's good with todays Chinese lack of quiality.

I hadn't heard of it either, until I watched that video.? After I posted the post yesterday, I went out and checked the wiper motor to see if it had splines, which would make it easy to get the thing "out of time". I installed the new motor a few months ago so I couldn't remember what it was made like, and the truck has just been sitting so wipers haven't been used. The motor shaft is just flat on opposing sides, so the only way it could be out of time is 180 degrees, which might have been the case. So I ran the motor with the arms disconnected and got the same result, only high speed and it wouldn't park, when I turned the switch off it just stopped wherever it was at the time. This makes me think you might be right about the new motor being bad.? I guess I will see if I can find out how to test it, although it seems to me that what I have done has already tested it. Thanks for the input.

If it won't park there's an issue within the motor. Even back then there was a "park module" built in to the wiper motor

Well guys, here's an update. I had my parts guy order another wiper motor, picked it up, brought it home, plugged it in (without mounting it) and had the same result (run only on fast, wouldn't park). So, I knew the chances of getting two bad rebuilt motors is extremely unlikely. So, back to the wiring diagram, where I noticed something almost hidden among all the other lines, that was shaped like a ballast resistor on the motor.? This got me thinking..... along with the wires in the gang plug for the motor, there were two wires that weren't hooked to anything (one a little shorter than the other). The previous owner had installed an Accel ignition on the truck and, obviously, had deleted the resistor. I happened to have a resistor on my bench that came off my Apache pick-up, so thought, "I wonder if"! So I plugged the two wires, which happened to be a good fit due to the difference in length, and BINGO! fast/slow and park all worked! Now comes the question, was it actually a ballast resistor or some other component, since I have never seen one used other than in the ignition system.? I don't want to damage a new motor by continuing to use this if it really should be something else. If this IS what is the correct part for the job, I guess the resistor just acts as a voltage drop for the lower speed? just guessing here. Anyway, thanks for all the input and any other ideas on this would be appreciated.

By the way: on the topic of "timing" a wiper motor, I found out that is true. I hooked the lever/arm assy. back up to the motor and , when I turned it on, the arms/blades went the wrong direction, breaking the plastic connector on the blade as it ran down into the cowel vent! After taking it back apart and rotating it 180 degrees it worked perfectly. The motor shaft has two flat sides directly opposite each other, making it possible to get it 180 degrees out. Just a little FYI.

glad you're getting it figured out. But as far as dicounting two bad new parts in a row....when I worked at the IH dealer parts dept., we handled Delco Remy starters and altornaters. We used to go thru stacks of them just to find one good one. So it does happen.

Wow, I used to think Delco-Remy was the best.? Of course that was 50 years ago. By the way, I took the Power Wagon out for the first drive since I drove it home several months ago and was less that impressed with the brakes! When I drove it home I was mainly on the interstate and only used the brakes a few times before and after the interstate miles so didn't really notice the lack of braking power. The truck has 35s on it (tires) and I realize that taller tires will effect the braking but didn't think it would have this much effect.? Anyone else have this experience? Or could the booster be the issue?

W150 should have a Dan's 44 front axle if not changed. Does it have front drum or disc brakes. If still drum it shouldn't be that hard to upgrade to disc. I would guess it's still has 15" wheels so rotor size maybe limited to 11".
But no I don't think you should be experiencing a braking issue.

The truck does have disc brakes and 15" wheels. I have never had a brake booster go bad, but I guess that is a possibility.? The truck sat for 3 years before I bought it (after the previous owner died) so that might be part of the problem. When I use the brakes, it tends to pull to one side then the other so will probably replace the calipers since they might be sticking. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Back