• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which oil to use.

Tad

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Ramcharger with a 360. It has 146k miles in it. PO used synthetic oil on the last oil change. He said he noticed an increase in oil leaks. Not bad leaks but some oil. I’d like to use what’s best for the truck. Thoughts on synthetic vs standard oil? Can I switch back to standard after having synthetic in it?

Ive never been a fan of synthetic oil. Ive always run plain old regular 10w40, sometimes 10w30. not sure that a sudden swap to syn oil aggravates oil leaks though I have heard it. Being yours is an 86, could it be coincidence on account of a 35 year old truck?
That said I just bought a $#!t-ton of semi syn blended oil from a local small chain of farm store at their going out of business sale. too good of price to pass up, as much oil as I go thru, I drive alot and have 4 vehicles to maintain.

My 08 Torrent and 05 Colorado get full syn 5w30 with Lucas. My 98 2500 gets 15w40 or 10w30 with Lucas. Your Ramcharger I would use a 10w30 or 10w40 with a zinc additive.

Rotella-T, 15-40, I use a zinc additive at oil change. I’ve learned over the years that using full synthetic in a high mileage motor is asking for oil leaks.

Last edited:
Rotella-T, 15-40, I use a zinc additive at oil change. I’ve learned over the years that using full synthetic in a high mileage motor is asking for oil leaks.
Only if conventional oil had been used for years. Good to know someone else reads the labels on oil containers. I also used Rotella T for years for the zinc. Most will not admit Rotella dropped the zinc. A must for flat tappit engines. All my daily drives are roller cam.

If you habitually make trips less than about 10 miles you are really looking to sludge the engine, regardless of type of oil and/or drain interval as I know from Wallwork. If the engine is not burning or leaking the synthetic, I would stay with it.

Only if conventional oil had been used for years. Good to know someone else reads the labels on oil containers. I also used Rotella T for years for the zinc. Most will not admit Rotella dropped the zinc. A must for flat tappit engines. All my daily drives are roller cam.
Have not checked lately but it would be nice if Rotella would make things right on either the product or their website.
Got to watch when adding zinc as it needs to be the right amount. More is not better.

Back