• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Which headers for my '75 D100?

Dogsluvtrucks

Reaction score
I'm shopping for headers for my '75 D100, 318 engine,2 bbl, automatic.
Most important is that it fit without modifying the vehicle. Second is ground clearance. All-out flow performance is not necessary. I'm looking for decent street headers. Engine is stock, plan on keeping it that way. Header flange 5/16 inch or thicker, 16 gauge or heavier pipe. What do y'all think? Got any suggestions?

I'm shopping for headers for my '75 D100, 318 engine,2 bbl, automatic.
Most important is that it fit without modifying the vehicle. Second is ground clearance. All-out flow performance is not necessary. I'm looking for decent street headers. Engine is stock, plan on keeping it that way. Header flange 5/16 inch or thicker, 16 gauge or heavier pipe. What do y'all think? Got any suggestions?
Headman, Black Jack or what ever your pocket book could afford for some small block long tube headers should be no fit issue in your truck

Been several years ago, but I bought a set of Heddman Hedders from Jegs for a 76 D100 with a 318. Think I paid around $89 and put 140,000 trouble free miles on them. Left them on the truck when I sold it.

Like the other guys said, pretty much any header will work, there's a crapload of space under the hood of these trucks, and ground clearance shouldn't be an issue unless the truck is lowered considerably!

I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to get headers that fit. But, I saw on the internet somewhere; this guy was putting headers in a Dodge truck,I think it was a '78, and one tube rubbed the frame. I think it's the FlowTech headers that have really long looking vertical tubes before they turn 90 deg. aft. My truck is not lowered at all. Just wondering what folks here might actually have on their truck so that there would be no 'hope this works' install. JEGS sells an in house brand, with a fairly thick flange and tube, $185.00, can be ordered ceramic coated. I suspect that will cost an additional $100.00, which is a fair price, if they fit without any modification.

Orangecrate: Did you paint your headers? Ceramic coated? I put Casler headers on my 'Cuda many years ago. Painted them with High-Temp paint. After 5 years and 50k miles or so, the paint was gone and they were very rusty.

Nope, never painted them. Just whatever Heddman used. I put these on in the spring of 97 and used them till 03. My daily commute at the time was 97 miles round trip. I will say that after six years and 140,000-plus miles, I didn't feel they were worth taking off when I sold the truck. Hadn't blown out or come apart yet, but sure weren't pretty anymore.

Don't get Flowtechs. I put them on my 383 mag in my 71 PW & whatta pain. Head flange holes didn't line up. Ceramic coating is starting to dull, too. I'd go with
Dougs, Headmans or TTI's.

71 PW 383 1 small file.jpg

I've had good luck with headman's in the past . I have a set waighting to go on my 79 now . One of the thing's you gotta look out for though , is how close they run around your starter . You might want to think about a mini starter at the same time just to be shure .

Hedman #79080 These are the best fitting ones I ever had.

Thanks for all your replies.

Triggerfish: NICE!! looking engine compartment.

Eggman: I'll take a look at the Hedman 79080.

Thanks for all your replies.

Triggerfish: NICE!! looking engine compartment.

Eggman: I'll take a look at the Hedman 79080.
Thanks & I may be switching to the Headmans as well. One tube may
be developing a leak, so I'll check their website.
If you go with the Headmans, I'd recommend ceramic coating on the outside
& thermal coating inside.

I have a brand new set of JR headers (part# 4302 ) that I purchased through Chrysler under Chrysler # P4529439 for my 74 318 D100 and never took out of box. Have dropped a 440 in it so now do not need. If interested let me know. Barry

Back