• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What type of freon was used in a 91 Dakota....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
?? I know there should be a label but I'm checking for a friend that hasn't spotted it yet....

You can do it yourself, get a kit that has the fittings and retrofit label, replace the receiver/drier and the fittings. I would also change the expansion valve. Add the required amount of oil, I prefer PAG oil over Ester. Most Mopars take PAG 100. You can charge it yourself or take it to a shop, have them draw the system into a deep vacuum then charge it. Start with 80 percent charge, but you can go up to 100 percent charge of the R134A. There should be a sight glass on the receiver/drier, when the air is gone it's full.

I got the Ester, fittings and a new seal kit. The compressor still works but the system has not been operational for years. Some day it may work again. As for the expansion valve some say to leave it others replace it. I really need a better vacuum pump.

My vacuum pump isn't the world's greatest.....but I might not be getting this truck anyways. Sure would like to because it only have 40k miles on it and it's still pretty nice.

Back