• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

What pickup to build?

Rusty Junk

Reaction score
I'm pondering just what pickup to build, I like the 72 through 93 short box or 94 through 01 short box. Also on the list is the early flat nose Dakota short box, any thing I put together will get a 440 but the trans type is open.
I will add this will be 2wd and a daily driven strip runner.
What do you guys think I should build and why?

I would go 72-93. But It's up to you but me and my dad put 440 in a 79 Dodge 100 2wd yrs ago and it was a blast. To be honest i'm not sure a 440 would work in a 94-01 without a lot of fabrication work. I would like to put a 383 in my 99 one day. Keep us posted on what you decide

I would go 72-93. But It's up to you but me and my dad put 440 in a 79 Dodge 100 2wd yrs ago and it was a blast. To be honest i'm not sure a 440 would work in a 94-01 without a lot of fabrication work. I would like to put a 383 in my 99 one day. Keep us posted on what you decide
This would be the easiest way for me to do a 440 swap because I have all the parts to bolt one in in both new and used parts. That's parts to do two swaps. I looked for the longest time for the motor mounts, brakes, oil pan etc and finally ordered new then six months later found a 400 truck in a yard. I also have a LS diff for a 9.25. I also have a new set of Hookers for that body style so it would make sence. But I like the idea of the other two, I love to fabricate.

My dad ran into a guy who put a 383 in a 2nd gen Dodge 1500 2wd truck. Not sure what all consisted of the build but wish I did.

Back