• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

want to put my 79 pw on to a newer diesel chassis

dodgeboy

Reaction score
can any one tell me how hard it might be and also what chassis would fit under my 79 pw body i would like to do this with a 24 valve engine,im not in a great big hurry as current finances only allow me to dream at this point just thought id put this out there to see what kind of responses i get im mostly wondering about wheelbase and such for compatability on this project thx in advance for your input

I would personally look for a first gen ram 88-93 with a 24 valve cummins. Rams didn't change a whole lot from your year till 94. Basically it was just different trim options that changed.

If you want a diesel in your 79 then why don't you put it between your existing frame rails ? It's been done before .

thx for the reply mopardude will look at that,and bear i wasnt to sure about that route as far as dificulty goes just thought it would be easier to swap my body on then comes the hard part as far as electrical and such.

thx for the reply mopardude will look at that,and bear i wasnt to sure about that route as far as dificulty goes just thought it would be easier to swap my body on then comes the hard part as far as electrical and such.

When I replied I was assuming you had a good reason for swapping chassis. If your chassis is good I would do as bear says and just look for a diesel engine. I know for sure your 79 has the same chassis all the way up till about 88 or so. I can't imagine that they changed them much for the first gen trucks. Than again if your current chassis needs a lot of work there would be some benefits to just getting one from a newer ram too.

If your worried about the electrical part of it ? I beleive ( don't quote me because I'm not a big diesel guy ) that the deisel truck's had a seperate computer just for the engine . So that part of it would be doable . I would think that you would be able to use the engine mounts ( frame side ) from a doner truck of what ever year engine you used . Behind that , a nice 5 or a 6 speed would be the best .

The 88-93 diesels are 12 valve and only require power for the injector pump to make the motor run. This would be the easiest to do electricaly if you swapped a diesel into your pw. Finding a doner truck would give you everything you need for the swap. Putting your body on an 88-93 chassis is doable also but there are some differences in the box mounts as i found out when i put my 88 on an 80 chassis. Either direction is about the same amount of work but is a cool swap.

The 88-93 diesels are 12 valve and only require power for the injector pump to make the motor run. This would be the easiest to do electricaly if you swapped a diesel into your pw. Finding a doner truck would give you everything you need for the swap. Putting your body on an 88-93 chassis is doable also but there are some differences in the box mounts as i found out when i put my 88 on an 80 chassis. Either direction is about the same amount of work but is a cool swap.

Wasn't 93 the year were they started putting the 24 valve in? I was thinking there was 1 year they did this in the first gen bodies but maybe I am wrong about this.

24 valve didn't come out till mid 98. After that they were all computer controlled. That's what makes the 12 valve a little more appealing is the simplicity of hooking one up.

thx for the info there indy,simplicity is definantly what i need can you get good power and torque from the 12 valve engines and also what about beefin them up whats the aftermarket parts supply like for them.againthx for all the replys its been very informative

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]They're great for making torque although the 24's do better for mileage. Check out a website called Diesel Truck Resource. Cummins engines is what they're all about. Great source of info and aftermarket suppliers. I've been doin some research on this myself as it's going to be my next build. A 70's crew cab 4x4 short box diesel. [/FONT]

Also if your into watching YouTube "TheDieselStop" is a great channel to watch. I believe he is a diesel mechanic by trade and he is big into rebuilding 24 valve cummins has a lot of good videos. He may have some 12 valve cummins rebuilds too but I think mainly he does 24's. Sadly though he does take these cummins out of dodges and put them into Chevies if you squimish about non dodge trucks that part maybe hard to watch. LOL

i put a 97 ctd in my 82 1/2 ton about 8 years ago. so far no frame cracks, no front wheel bearing failures. easiest swap this old man has ever done. hardest part for me was reworking radiator support. with 90 diesel mounts it bolted in the 318 frame holes. did have to change to heavier front springs and shocks though. low 8s on 1/8 mi. and 18-19 mi. per. gal. on the street sure beat what the 318 would do.

Back