• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Voltage regulator problem?

mopar426

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my bat losing its charge when it's charged it runs fine but when I step on the gas the lights get brighter but randomly the bat dies so I don't no if it's the alt or the voltage reg

I'm having a problem with my bat losing its charge when it's charged it runs fine but when I step on the gas the lights get brighter but randomly the bat dies so I don't no if it's the alt or the voltage reg

Sounds like what my Dart did when the volt reg died in that. I wasn't sure which it was either. My local Napa has testers for both so I took them both in and had them test to find which one was the culprit.

Most of the time it is the volage regulator , but I know you were just doing all kinds of work on your 440 . Did you replace or reinstall all of the grounds ? You should have one from the battery to the block , one from the battery to eather the inner fender or the rad suport ( or both ) , one from the back of the block ( normaly on the passenger side rear ) to the fire wall , and I even run one from the block to the frame . Another question is .... What is your alt gauge doing ? Does it look like it's chargeing normaly or is it over chargeing when you step on the gas and dischargeing at idle ?

Back