• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

V6 to V8 swap

Stephen

Reaction score
1994 Dodge Dakota V6
from 1995 V8

My 94 has a 3.9 and the 95 has a 5.2

What will I have to modify if I change out the v6 to the v8

v6 is a long bed and the v8 is a short bed extended cab.

I think the wheel base is the same.
What do you think?

The 94 V6 frame was not the same as the V8 frame. Modifications for the oil pan and motor mounts will be required. Would be best to park them side by side and do some looking.

Would it be easier to swap cabs and boxes?
Well I guess not.

Those are both fuel injected right

The 94 V6 frame was not the same as the V8 frame. Modifications for the oil pan and motor mounts will be required. Would be best to park them side by side and do some looking.
Thank You
The deal went south for the parts truck.
We agreed on a price and the next day before I went to pick it up and pay him he called and said that somebody offered him more money and tried to bump me. You know the rest of the story.

Peoples word is not worth two hoots for some. Verbal or written a deal should be just that.

my big fat mouth has cost me a lotta money over the years. If I said I would do it, I had to do it. I'm a lot more careful what I say now. Actually, I learned to think things thru a lil better; "let your yes be yes and yur no be no"; I learned to say no.

Based on a site that modifies engines particularly V6 and V8. By altering the number of cylinders, their size and their relationship to one another, automakers can create a wide range of engine types that suit a range of needs.

The cylinders inside an engine are all the same size, although cylinder sizes will vary from engine to engine. And some engines have cylinders arranged in a single row within, while others use two rows of opposing cylinders, connected to one another in a ‘V’-like shape. This is common, and typically used when more cylinders need to be fit into a compact space. When a six- or eight-cylinder engine uses this configuration, it’s called a V6 or V8, respectively.

1st off I know I'm late to this. 2nd, wtf is Rianne talking about?? lol 3rd, nothing said about this swap is correct. Thought I'd weigh in just on case you find another donor. A 94 to 95 swap is as easy as it get. 5.2 bolts right in place of the 3.9. V6 fan shroud will be to big so swap the V8's. You'll need the V8 PCM and easiest, especially if the V8 was running, is to swap the under hood wiring harness because you'll need the extra 2 injector wires. You can get away with the V6 harness by simply pinning them in to the existing harness but you'll have find a schematic on where they pin-out in the PCM connector. I used to have that info but lost it when my laptop crashed. Your trans will work but 6's usually had a lighter trans and if you dog it after the swap it probably wont last long. If your original 6 Dak is an auto the trans cooler lines are bent different and the bends will hit the oil pan in the front. You can live with it but Dorman still makes V8 lines which have the proper bends. 92-3 V8 to 94-95 swap isn't hard either except you'll have to change the fuel rails as 92&3's are return style, not common rail. 96+ isn't suggest as they are OBD2 and non of the wiring or PMC will work, the V8 will though. Keep in mind I'm talking about Dak to Dak here, Ram to Dak will need a Dak pan and the wiring is considerably longer so there's a lot extra. B series isnt suggested as the wiring is way different. PCM's all interchange though.

So did they make the frame change in 94? What differences are there between the Dakota and Ram engine? Is it just the oil pan?

Think he was taking about custom engines. Would be more feasible to build the truck around the engine than do it that way.

No, 87-96 ALL used the same K member, A arms, springs, shocks, etc. 4cyl are the only ones who have a a different mounting situation regarding motor mounts. I have swapped 98 to 92, 93 to 94, 95 to 94 and the list goes on. Rams have a larger sump oil pan that doesn't clear the Dak cross member (very small), and to add, you have to use the Dak pick-up tube, I forgot to mention that earlier. Please don't "build a truck around and engine" when Ma' Mopar already did it, that's just silly.

*Dakota's all the same.. *Magnums all the same till OBD2 in 96 when they went EGR'less. Besides the aforementioned 92&3 return style injection vs the 96&5 return-less, still OBD1 though. I have a way of under-simplifying because it's first hand knowledge to me. Sorry.

Thanks I just might roll the cab off the 93 frame and store the frame for awhile. If it goes back together it will not have a Dakota body on it anyway.

Each respective magnum engine (itself) is the same throughout the whole run of magnum engines. Manifolds changed sensors changed, computers changed, and such but the engines are the same. An 03 3.9 is identical to a 93 3.9 besides what I mentioned. A 03 318 is identical to the 92 318. Every thing that IS different is very easy to unbolt and swap. You'd need to pull the intake anyway and do the belly pan gasket anyways while it is apart.

Back