• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Transmission for 318?

THE-HOG

Reaction score
(75 w100 318la) as I'm going forward with building my first vehicle ever, I'm finding of course, I know nothing. My factory manual trans has a crunchy second and I'd love to replace it before putting down lots of power. I'd really love to keep it manual. Do you guys know any trans I can put it in it and make it a fairly hot daily driver that I don't have to sacrifice my transfer case for?

Why not just replace the synchros and leave in it what's there. Or is the crunchy sound not putting it into gear.
So define crunchy

Is it a 3 speed column shift or a 4 speed on the floor with creeper gear
I have never seen a three speed manual on the tree with a transfer case.
Four speed top loader with transfer would be more like it.

Why not just replace the synchros and leave in it what's there. Or is the crunchy sound not putting it into gear.
So define crunchy
It's a four in the floor, it crunches into second gear. I'll be putting it in second and the shifter will stop, then I have to push it pretty hard and it crunches and goes into second.

I have never seen a three speed manual on the tree with a transfer case.
Four speed top loader with transfer would be more like it.
When I worked at a dealership a local shop teacher ordered a 1979 clubcab 4x4 dodge 318 3 speed on the column it was brown in color with no options and it was the only one we got in ever ordered that way

When I worked at a dealership a local shop teacher ordered a 1979 clubcab 4x4 dodge 318 3 speed on the column it was brown in color with no options and it was the only one we got in ever ordered that way
Yea, well it wasn't 4 wheel drive either.

It's a four in the floor, it crunches into second gear. I'll be putting it in second and the shifter will stop, then I have to push it pretty hard and it crunches and goes into second.
Replace the synchronizers and what ever bearing are on that shaft and put it back in.

Last comment: I seen it first hand being unloaded off the convoy at the dealership and thought it was odd I even drove it once 318 dodge club cab 4x4 and the 4x4 shifter was on the floor hump and the 3 speed manual shift on the column I even remember the customers name who ordered it

Back