• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

TransferCases

Not sure, but I thought all of the light duty 4-wheel drives were full time by that time. Maybe just my imagination, but I seem to remember when Dodge first came out with full time 4-wheel drive in what, 1975? that full time was on the automatics and part time was on the manual transmissions. I know that at least by '77 that the full time transfer cases (model 203?) bolted directly to the end of the transmission, while the earlier 70's part time transfer cases (model 205?) was independent of the tranny. Maybe there's someone out there with a better memory than mine.

It should be a full time four ( 203 ) . In 80 they went to the part time ( 208 ) and front locking hubs . They also changed the bolt pattern on the wheel's from 5 on 4 1/2 to 5 on 5 1/2 .

Thanks Friends, Here's what I found as far as the transfer case, and I will take any and all help. The tag on the old one (busted case) is 208D so I checked the years and that model # was made '80 to '89? And I have front locking hubs, and to make it all even more interesting it has 8 bolt wheels. So I know the original engine was changed, as was the transfer case and I didnt check numbers on the tranny yet which is standard 4 speed. This truck was beefed up, and I think I lucked out when I bought it. Im a pretty careful and not a "truck beating" type of driver. I've been a heavy equipment operator for over 30 years and know not to break stuff. Plowing snow takes its toll on the equipment as we all know, but for a drive shaft to just let go and crack the transfer case was really unbelieveable! I later found after inspection that there was only 1 bolt holding the drive shaft flange to the transfer case! I could tell by the rust in the other 3 holes. But thats what happened. So I found an identical matching transfer case from an 84 W150. Same low gear ratio 261's, and of course 208D. The spline count on the input shaft matches (23) and every thing is Identical. So we're gonna give it a shot on Monday and see what we come up with. The man I bought the X-sfer case from is an experienced mopar guy that looked the old one over before he would let me take it and he even said that the 208 was put in my truck after-market. All this said dose anyone see anything that would be questionable prior to me installing this case? Im a disabled vet and I have a helper but I just dont like paying for the same ground twice! Thanks all!

Sounds like the previous owner swapped out the running gear from a newer 3/4 ton truck ( not aftermarket ) . More then likely something between 80 and 88 . Don't worry , from what it sounds like the T case that you picked up should work without any issues . Just make sure you put all the bolts in this time around . lol Question , Does your front axle have the CAD system on it ? ( Vacuum ports and round canister on top of the housing ) .

Havi'n fun Now!

Yep bear, it sure seems that way. I didnt look at the axle before I got on here so I'll look in the AM. The case went in without a hitch however 2 other issues appeared. 1st- the bolts to from the front driveshaft to the t/c looked at first to be 3/8". But when dry-fitted with the case on the floor they seemed loose? Holes stretched, or metric bolts? They thread right through the flange but seemed too loose in the threads! for now I have self-locker nuts on the back till I get this issue settled. (just moved it out of the way). Second issue, Im guessing, without having pulled it apart yet, that I need a new set of hubs or hub, cause one front wheel is pulling and one (drivers side) isnt? The lock is turned all the way, so Im thinking something small in the locking mech. went to hell? Its been about 30 years since I've repaired a locking hub! I think the spiders have grand-spiders living in my snap-ring pliers drawer! But I looked at a few vidieos and it all looks so familiar again! To answer your question about a vacuum canister or ports I will look tomorrow. If I need hubs I'll replace the set, (payday-lol), is there any info on these "Mile-Marker" hubs? Just wondering what brand is a good quality? Thanks PS -FYI that 208 case is listed as using Transmission oil, Had my parts man book it. "3"

First I'm glad the T case went in with out a hitch . I kinnda figured it would from what you told me about the one you picked up . The bolts that hold your front drive shaft to the T case (If I remember right ) should be 7/16" and not 3/8" . They should come out the back a little bit but make sure that there not to long that they will hit anything and make sure you use lock washers . As for your second issue , If I'm understanding you correctly . Your drivers side axle isn't engaging ? If that's the case then there's two possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head . #1 You do have the cad system and that axle isn't engaging because it's not hooked up . If you have the CAD system besides the unit of top of the left ( drivers side ) side of your front axle there is also a sending unit on top of your T Case that has vacuum hose's going to it . That's what engages your front axles on that style front end . Now if you don't have the Cad system then there is only one wire going to that sending unit on top of the T Case and that what tells the light on your dash board to go on and more then likely your front locking hub is gone on that side . Just replace both of them to save your self future aggravation and save the good one just in case one ever lets go during a storm . I've had the mile-markers in my Ramcharger for about two years now without any issues (except for the chrome peeling) and I push some serious snow with that beast .I just got threw with a storm were I was pushing wet heavy snow for about 26 1/2 hour's straight , just to give you an idea of how much snow I push at times . I put that poor truck threw hell ( a frozen hell ) and it keep's on saying "give me more ! " lol . It out last a lot of the newer equipment that my boss has . As far as fluid go's . I use semi synthetic Chrysler tranny fluid with a quart of Lucas tranny fluid conditioner/sealer . It should take about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 quarts .

Back