• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

trans swap

dodgeboy

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if a overdrive trans from an 89 dodge will work in a 95 dodge

As far as bolting to the engine yes, as far as transmission mount I dunno but I wouldn't imagine they wouldn't be that far off if they are.

According to Allpar.com the A518 was main tranny behind the v8's for both of those years.

Don't do it !!!!!!!!! I went thru all that back when I was driveing my 95 ( The one I'm selling now ) and again when I bought the 97 sport I'm driveing now . When I bought the 97 the guy thought it needed a trany so I did even more research on them . It will bolt up but like you said the electronic's are diferent . Late 89 to 93 would be one trany and 94 / 95 is another trany . Then 96 / 97 / 98 is another . Is your trany totaly shot or is it just acting funky ? When the one in the 95 went , it did'nt give me any warning sign's it just let go but the 97 I bought had some odd symptom's . If the truck sat over night and you put it in gear it would slip but it would still move but if the truck ran for a while it would'nt move at all . Also , with all the problem's with these trany's I would go with a rebuilt one unless you find a low mile's part's truck that has a good trany in it . Other wise you might be putting in another bad trany or one that is'nt going to last to long , And there "not" fun to do once let alone twice . " Just my two cent's "

I'm curious. if the 518's are the same just different electronics, wouldnt the 518 from an 89 be simple to install. i have a 90 518, its just a switch on and off for overdrive, none of the electronics of yours. Or will this affect how the motor runs. I would imagine though it would give you a check engine light which could prevent you from passing an emissions test. (It would in cleveland I know.)

Like i said, curious.

I'm curious. if the 518's are the same just different electronics, wouldnt the 518 from an 89 be simple to install. i have a 90 518, its just a switch on and off for overdrive, none of the electronics of yours. Or will this affect how the motor runs. I would imagine though it would give you a check engine light which could prevent you from passing an emissions test. (It would in cleveland I know.)

Like i said, curious.

I was thinking the electronics would be different. I kinda though the same thing though to work around the differences shouldn't be all that bad. Because really in the later models you just have a overdrive that can be turned on and off. Couldn't that just be wired to a switch of some sort to be made to work? or is there more going on there than just that?

im not putting this trans in anything i pulled it from a wrecked truck that i bought for the motor and other stuff,i put the trans on craigslist for sale and the guy that responded is wanting it for his 95 its cheaper than a rebuild he said he checked and they told him should be no problem,i just dont want to sell this guy a tranny that he has to pull back out,im not that kind of person

Just to start off I have to say that I'm not a trany tech and I don't claim to be one . I'm just talking from personal experance and the research that I've done on the subject . It go's like this . Starting in early 94 into 95 if this guy's truck has a 3.9 then it should have a 42RH in it and if it has a 5.2 then it should have eather a 42RH or a 46RH in it and if he has a 5.9 then it would have eather 46RH or a 47RH in it . Now I'm not saying you can't make your 518 work but starting in late 94 the trany is also controled by the computer and the people that I talked to that tried to do this swap ended up with problem's such as no over drive , shifting funky , lock up converter slipping , etc. etc . etc .. Now that said . If his mechanic is saying he can make your 518 work and he's willing to back it up then I say sell it to him . Because it sound's like you've done everything in your power to help this guy and he know's what he's buying . And if it does'nt work then it's on his mechanic not you . But what I would do is write out a "as is" bill of sale just to cover your end . I hope this helped . I know it can get very confuseing with this stuff . As far as the cost of rebuilding his trany ? My trany for my 95 cost me about $1700 with new converter and I did the R&R on it so that was just for the rebuild it's self .

Just to start off I have to say that I'm not a trany tech and I don't claim to be one . I'm just talking from personal experance and the research that I've done on the subject . It go's like this . Starting in early 94 into 95 if this guy's truck has a 3.9 then it should have a 42RH in it and if it has a 5.2 then it should have eather a 42RH or a 46RH in it and if he has a 5.9 then it would have eather 46RH or a 47RH in it . Now I'm not saying you can't make your 518 work but starting in late 94 the trany is also controled by the computer and the people that I talked to that tried to do this swap ended up with problem's such as no over drive , shifting funky , lock up converter slipping , etc. etc . etc .. Now that said . If his mechanic is saying he can make your 518 work and he's willing to back it up then I say sell it to him . Because it sound's like you've done everything in your power to help this guy and he know's what he's buying . And if it does'nt work then it's on his mechanic not you . But what I would do is write out a "as is" bill of sale just to cover your end . I hope this helped . I know it can get very confuseing with this stuff . As far as the cost of rebuilding his trany ? My trany for my 95 cost me about $1700 with new converter and I did the R&R on it so that was just for the rebuild it's self .

Good info. Something I just though of while reading this is he might want to search the fabo site for this answer too. I remember a while back reading a few threads about guys putting news trannys into the A-bodies. From a wiring stand point it would be the same deal maybe someone has a solution posted there.

Yah you can put an over drive trans in an older car or truck . But the older cars and truck's don't have the PCM to deal with .

Yah you can put an over drive trans in an older car or truck . But the older cars and truck's don't have the PCM to deal with .

Right! But if a tranny from a 94 and up is controlled by the computer and guys are putting them into old cars than there has to be a work around for that. If there is a work around for that I would think the same concept would work the other way. I mean things don't always work that way and I am not saying this does work this way but to me it seems logical that it would. Although if guys are putting newer trannies in A bodies than I would think they are putting newer power plants in too which would need a computer and maybe how they are doing it but i dunno for sure that is why I suggested for him to check that out. Maybe he could find some real info out, than just us theorizing about it.

It sound's like were getting little off track of what this guy is trying to do . He's got a 95 Dodge truck ( daily driver ) with a blown trany and eather he does'nt have the money or he does'nt want to spend that kind of money on this truck . So do you realy think he want's to put this kind of time and money into a truck to make a trany that is'nt mint to be in there , in there ? Plus we have'nt even gotten into the difference in drive shaft length's . And yes they are diferent lenth's , which would add to the cost . Now for the guy's that are putting newer motor and trany's into there older car's & truck's and are running thing's like modern fuel injection and such ? That's simple , there putting a computer in them . Unless they just wanted an over drive then one of there option's would be to run a 518 which is not computer controled and then all they would need is a switch and an electric pressure solinoid . As well as the nohow on how to hook it up . But once again , that's just my two cent's ! lol

He never specifies the condition of the truck or his budget to do it in. He asked if it could be done I am just trying to point him the direction of proper info to pull it off. Not trying to discourage him from doing it. Give him all the info and let him decide.

If you go to the first page and go 8 post down , "Dodgeboy" is selling a 518 and someone wanted to put it in his 95 because of the cost of rebuilding the trany in it now . I'm all for helping someone do something to there truck ( or car ) weather it's been done before or not but in this case like I said , I think we just got a little off track with there end goal .

The person also told him, for them to do it, should be no problem. Different people have different skill sets and resources. Maybe for this person its not that big of deal and the cost for him to do it is not that bad.

im begining to have second thoughts about selling the trans to this guy im getting mixed replys both on here and from local shops ive had several different reasons why it will and wont work

im begining to have second thoughts about selling the trans to this guy im getting mixed replys both on here and from local shops ive had several different reasons why it will and wont work

Could just lay it all out for the guy what you have found out. Say hey this might not work, what you want to do. If he still wants to buy the tranny to attempt it, it will be all on him than.

Back