• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Towing question

roadcuda

Reaction score
I just joined up. I have an '04 Dakota 3.9, 5-speed, regular cab. I bought it used in '06 and so far has been trouble free. My questions is this. A friend has told me that he used to tow an open trailer with a car, about 5500 lbs with the same set up as I have and had no problems. What are your experiences? Are these trucks capable of towing a trailer like that? I know it won't be a speed demon but then it doesn't have to be. I'd rather take more time getting somewhere and get there in one piece. Thanks.

I just joined up. I have an '04 Dakota 3.9, 5-speed, regular cab. I bought it used in '06 and so far has been trouble free. My questions is this. A friend has told me that he used to tow an open trailer with a car, about 5500 lbs with the same set up as I have and had no problems. What are your experiences? Are these trucks capable of towing a trailer like that? I know it won't be a speed demon but then it doesn't have to be. I'd rather take more time getting somewhere and get there in one piece. Thanks.

My buddy towed a 1 ton on a flat bed with v6/auto ex cab. Was real damn slow going, but he got it home. Towed it about a mile lol
But you should have no trouble towing that car

i believe they are rated to tow up to 3500 lbs atleast thats what the manual for my brothers says and his is a 92 2wd 3.9 auto trans dakota hes towed 6000lbs with it but says it gets a little scary trying to stop

i believe they are rated to tow up to 3500 lbs atleast thats what the manual for my brothers says and his is a 92 2wd 3.9 auto trans dakota hes towed 6000lbs with it but says it gets a little scary trying to stop

Wonder what a trans temp gauge would tell us lol probably "oh snap!"

yup his slips out of od every once in a while any how but then again im surprised he hasnt blown up the engine yet he thinks its a race truck but compared to the ranger he used to have i guess it is lol

yup his slips out of od every once in a while any how but then again im surprised he hasnt blown up the engine yet he thinks its a race truck but compared to the ranger he used to have i guess it is lol

Lol you can't kill the v6! I had a 12' box trailer loaded to the gills when I was moving a number o years back, and my geo tracker with factory 5speed towed it down the hwy with ease! Lol

my brother use to have a geo storm it ran good but was getting pretty scary to drive it was so rusty he finally quit driving it when he put it on jack stands one day to fix a fuel line and after he lowered it the doors wouldnt close anymore they were 4 inches off on both sides it looked like it was gonna fold in half lol he sold the whole thing for $200 to some guy that wanted to use the engine and tranny for a dune buggy project

Back