• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Thinking of buying a 2010 F-150 with a hairline crack in the exhaust manifold...

Reaction score
Should I do it? I've had plenty of vehicles and trucks in the past but I haven't had personal experience with the cracked manifold issue on the F150s. From my research and talking to a couple shops I know it can be costly. The guy selling it told me his mechanic gave him an estimate of $1500. Which in my research sounds about right. Although it could be less if the manifold comes off ok and can just be replaced without having to remove the head on the engine if the bolts snap. But in talking to one shop it sounds like there's no way to know for sure whether a bolt will break or not. I haven't gone to look at the truck yet as it's a couple hours away but aside from the exhaust manifold issue it looks really well maintained and it's a good price with the repairs factored in. It's a Lariat, crew cab, and just has all of the features I want at a good price even with the repairs. So I'm thinking of doing it but thought I'd check with some others who may have already been through this first to see what your experience has been or what your take is. Thanks!

Last edited:
5.4 3V? Which side or both? I have done plenty of Ford truck manifolds. The worst part is getting the broken studs out, but with the aluminum head if they are flush I have built up weld and been able to weld a washer and nut onto it or just the built up weld. Most of the time they will have a broken stud. $1500 seems steep for one side.

Back