• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Terrible Chrysler design flaw

ab7fh

Reaction score
2003 Ram with 100,000+ miles. My right turn signal and brake light stopped working on my trailer and truck camper. First checked the wiring going to the trailer and camper, no apparent problems. Then I checked the fuse/relay box to see if there was a blown fuse. Well there are a ton of fuses and relays in there, and the main truck lighting has fuses and relays which are replaceable.

Turns out that the trailer lights are on a different circuit, and the relay is built into the fuse box itself and is not replaceable. $500+ to replace the fuse / relay box just for the part alone. The part is specific to the VIN number of the vehicle so finding the right one in a bone yard would be a crap shoot.

I ended up tapping into the trucks brake light circuit and jumping a wire over to the trailer wiring harness. Ghetto rigged, but it works and saved me from spending $500 on a relatively old truck. I figured that since the trucks main lighting circuit is fuse protected the since the relay iseasily replaceable that this was my best option.

Should find out what specific number in the vin its tied too. I would bet its not so much of a crap shoot. Like for example if it was tied to the 8th digit which is the engine and might be like a difference between like a diesel and gas engine or something. Although the only 2 vin codes that make any sense for such a thing to be tied to are the model code and engine codes. Nothing else in the vin is tied to any particular options otherwise.

I just seen you are from Arizona. This wasn't a truck that was sold new in Mexico and brought north? In that case too there could be parts that are different from the Mexican version versus the US Ram and the vin would be used to tell you that info too.

I seen this same problem mentioned on a different forum, and wouldn't you know I own a 2003 Ram. Hope mine keeps working!

don't think Chrysler is the only one to use this setup

had to change the fuse box/ mini computer controler in wifes brand X vehicle, what a crock of SH*T

we were driving about 1 mile from home and it just died, would not crank or do anything

walked home got my Dodge and towed it home

don't think Chrysler is the only one to use this setup

had to change the fuse box/ mini computer controler in wifes brand X vehicle, what a crock of SH*T

we were driving about 1 mile from home and it just died, would not crank or do anything

walked home got my Dodge and towed it home
I think your safe telling us what kind of vehicle it was.

Back