• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Tech help? 1985 Dodge D-50 fuel Pump issue.....

Super-bee_ski

Reaction score
Application:
-1985 Dodge D-50 with the Mitsubishi G-54B engine.
-4 Wheel drive.
-Auto trans.
-Air conditioning.
This truck seems to have constant Fuel Pump failure, and I am at a loss of why the 2nd pump we installed has failed.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Thinking about installing an electric pump BUT it seems rather strange the two pumps installed have failed.

One was from a AutoZone...certain it was a Chinese manufacture.
I'm wondering if the Carter or Airtex would be a better pump?
Hard to believe the original and a repro would fail.
The only thing I could think of is the ethanol in California damaged the diaphragm?

Thanks for the support.
Perhaps I will get the Carter from Rock Auto OR a quality NAPA and try again....

Fuel in the tank? Could this be a tank pickup problem instead of a pump problem? I wouldn't trust the gauge. Make sure there is fuel in it. Even if you need to drop a fuel line in a can. Do you feel a vacuum on the pump inlet side?

Fuel in the tank? Could this be a tank pickup problem instead of a pump problem? I wouldn't trust the gauge. Make sure there is fuel in it. Even if you need to drop a fuel line in a can. Do you feel a vacuum on the pump inlet side?

Yes, fuel in tank.
No vacum on inlet
"Failed Pump"
We have ethanol here...
Crystalizes, unlike conventional gasoline which turns to varnish.
Tank is good, gasoline has always been fresh.
Pump is external 7mopar, as is my 70 Superbee.
I'm ordering another one from NAPA.
Hoping it is just a failed "new" pump, 6 months old....

I'm ordering another one from NAPA.
Hoping it is just a failed "new" pump, 6 months old....
I don't remember who is making the Napa pumps now, but they used to be made by Carter.
I would get a Carter, not a fan of Airtex. I have never used a mechanical Airtex, but have installed electric Airtex for customers and changed them out when they failed.

I don't remember who is making the Napa pumps now, but they used to be made by Carter.
I would get a Carter, not a fan of Airtex. I have never used a mechanical Airtex, but have installed electric Airtex for customers and changed them out when they failed.
Yup, I ordered the Carter from rock auto
It will be here Friday.
More to come...thanks for the tech info.

Get about all my stuff from NAPA or Rock Auto these days.

Yes, we are in a remote port of the Mojave desert, 20 miles North of Edwards AFB.
So, we do have a NAPA but I did order the Carter from Rock Auto...
Delivery date is Friday!
Yippee

Back