• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Strange Crank no Start

resto

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well I have a 1976 F100 long bed with a '78 400/c6. It cranked right up after I purchased it but I never let it warm up bc it needed a radiator. I replaced radiator and it cranked right up, but I then noticed coolant leaking from the heads right at head gaskets, and what I thought was oil pan but that turned out to be freeze plugs. I changed the Head gaskets and all other gaskets associated with job, and after wouldn't start. I have timed it, replaced starter solenoid, ignition coil, ignition coil connector, Ignition control module, complete dist with cap and rotor, spark plugs, and I am still forgetting something. I have ruled out a fuel problem. Now I NEVER buy blind parts, but these parts were beat up and going to get replaced anyway, so I went ahead and did them with this no start problem. I have checked the wiring over and over again. I do not understand why it started every time without issue, and now I can't get it to fire up. It has to be something I did wrong...but I took very detailed pictures before the Head gaskets and labeled all the wires and bolts very carefully. A little OCD. Does anyone have any ideas on how to figure out what is going on... Should I look towards my automatic choke? Pouring gasoline in the carb still doesn't get a start though. Ugh it is killing me.
Thanks-Jeremy

Jeremy

Are you getting spark at the spark plugs? All engine grounds connected?[/QUOTE

All grounds are good. Whats a good way without special tools to check spark at the actual plugs? Distributor rotor turns during crank. Coil has spark. Everything is plugged and hooked just how it was when it was starting. I have turned to TDC on compression stroke and installed the dizzy several times.

An induction timing light connected to any sparkplug wire would be the safest way.

Back