• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Stalling at idle

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
Hi Guys, so just rebuilt the magnum in my 96, it starts and runs fine and will sit and idle in nuetral no dramas but if you put it in drive it wants to stall, what am I missing?

Is there a vacum line that runs from the gear box or something to tell the motor it's in gear I think I've got everything hooked up where it shoud go it's driving me nuts though having to knock it into nuetral everytime I pull up to an intersection.

Yep, took it to a computer tuning joint 350 bucks no real improvement. Problem is these trucks were never dealer delivered here in Australia so no one really knows anything about them. It's gotta be something simple got me buggered what it is :confused2:

Yep, took it to a computer tuning joint 350 bucks no real improvement. Problem is these trucks were never dealer delivered here in Australia so no one really knows anything about them. It's gotta be something simple got me buggered what it is :confused2:

I don't know what they did but I believe I would get my money back if they didn't fix it. To reset the ECU you just disconnect the battery over night or touch the battery positive lead to the negative side of the battery. Either way drains all power from the ECU and it will reset. My truck doesn't have a vacuum line running to the trans. It is electronically shifted. I don't believe yours has anything because it is hydraulically shifted. Torque converter gone bad you think?

Last edited:
Dunno it seems to run fine on the highway or just cruising around but as soon as you slow down at an intersection it just wants to cough and die stoopid thing

Dunno it seems to run fine on the highway or just cruising around but as soon as you slow down at an intersection it just wants to cough and die stoopid thing
If it is runs a throttle body It can be affected by a vacuum leak just like a carburated vehicle...maybe vacuum line to brake booster? Typical vacuum leak will allow the motor to idle in park or neutral but will want to kill the motor when you put the tranny in drive...look for any disconnected vacuum lines or listen for a whistling noise.

I had a 95 that acted that way

I had a 95' with a 360. It started acting up and would die unexpectadly at idle. It turned out to be the idle motor on the back side of the throttle body. I removed it and cleaned it with a spray can of mopar injector cleaner. It helped for several months, then started giving me problems again. After the third round of this, I replaced the idle motor and it never gave me any more problems. Hope this info helps. Good luck.

Back