• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Shoot me now before the wife does

volaredon

Reaction score
I have seen a clean 90s Dakota sitting for about a year now. I like the 87-96 ones the best of all Dakotas, and have been kinda looking for another one to replace my clapped out 96.
They're getting older and most around are more clapped out than mine, the few I still see around here. I ve been hoping to find another 4wd because that's what my 96 is and I mostly drive it as my "mowing truck" to go up and now mine and my wife's parents place 30-ish miles away, plus the 4wd-ness for the Illinois winters. (Work is 35 miles the opposite way from the parents places compared to home)
Not being 4wd is what's been stopping me from knocking on this guy's door sooner. But it does have the 8' bed like my 1st '90 did.
I don't need 4wd except for winter. And just a few days a year at that.

Well I stopped yesterday. Finally saw the garage door open and kids on bikes in the driveway, so I knew that at least someone was there.
This is the first time I've gotten out and looked up close rather than just driving by.
I've thought about finding a bed for my 96 and throwing some fresh paint on it but I have enough projects like everybody else.
I finally knocked on the door, and the guy came out.
Looking at this truck, I haven't seen another this solid and rust free in 10 years around here Id bet. It's a 2 owner '93 with 67k miles on it. And this guy has had it 2-3 years,is all, knew the original owner. What he did say though is he claims to have taken it to a local junkyard and had the trans either rebuilt or replaced, he didn't know which but said that they put in a "dud". I have a known good trans in my garage that would go right in, out of a 91. He never did say what happened to the original trans to cause hum to have it worked on... But I can't believe it's so solid and clean inside and out, truly looks like a 1 owner some "old guy" had. Straight, not dented, or scratched, and less miles than any of the 7-8, 87-96s that I have had so far ever were when I first got them. (And the goes back to the late 90s) This would be the 3rd that I've had that I got because of tranny issues. The first was also a 93, 2wd but a V8 club cab that I converted to a stick.
Other than my current 96 V8 club cab 4wd have been my favorites of the bunch I've had. I got a rotted out 91 last year as a parts truck, it's trans is among what I kept from it.... Trying to figure out what to offer this guy... He did say he'd rather see it be driven than sitting. Man o man.... Only 1/4 of the miles on it compared to the 96 I have now.... And 100k less overall than my 96 had 7 years ago.... Only other thing is I wish it was a318 instead of only 3/4 of one... (It's a 3.9) but Ive had a few of those in my mix over the years)

Last edited:
Yup. But I have a couple of vehicles that fit that description already. If I got this latest one I found, I figured we could park the 300k mile Durango that she drives every day and give it a rest..on days she doesn't have to watch the grandkids and need car seats that is.
When it's nice enough out I got the sportster for those days and the 78 fury 2 door .... Unfortunately if I got this one I'd have to load it up in the bed for traction, and drive it in the winter.....
I do have a 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of NHOU undercoating left from when I doused the underside of my '12 last fall ....
Even if it sat all summer what I'd like for the winter would be another Durango or another XJ Cherokee but every one of those I see. Is hillbilly lifted and if the body is decent or better they want $16k.... I didn't pay that for my 97 and my 01 XJs combined (yeah they were used when I got em, never have bought new) but unfortunately I don't want a rot bucket even as a winter beater. I don't want something super clean though either...but this Dakota I found is too nice to pass up.

I just junked a 93 3.9 last summer. It was ok. But don't think I would bother with another 3.9 as the 5.2's got better mileage. Not that the 3.9 wouldn't scoot down the road empty. But my F250 only gets 2mpg less per mile loaded the same.
I have heard of these 8 foot bed wonders but have never seen one.
Did I say the Super duty is massive compared to the Dakota. Yes I would rather have a Ram. But I bought what I needed and was available. Can't afford an 8 foot bed Ram with a four door cab.

I know about the (lack of) mileage difference between a 3.9 and a 318. Mileage wise my 90 (pre magnum) was the best of the 3.9 trucks I've had. But in a 30 yo, rust free, ultra low mile truck, the condition of the truck wins out over which engine it has ... I have 318 magnums and 318 computers sitting here that could replace that 3.9 eventually.
Especially here in the middle of road salt country, Illinois. I don't like newer vehicles, as far as Dakota's the newest I have what was a 99, and I sold that because I didn't like it as well as my 96 and older ones I've had. My newest anything ever is the 12 ram 1500 reg can longbed that replaced the 99 Dakota, and it's just blah. No character, and I have 2-1/2 years of a 4 year loan left on that one. First car payment since I paid off my wrangler in 2005. And I can't stand fires or imported brands of vehicles, I get my fill of Ford every day at work. All currently about '13 and newer fords. I'm a fleet mechanic for this miserable state

Well I have my old /6 leaving in the morning, not going to get rich off of it by any means but in getting better than scrap price for it . I built up a fresh one for that truck ...... But gaining a bit of space back, and a few bucks that could go towards that low mileage Dakota.... And I tripped over the A500 a couple of hours ago in the garage that could find it's way into that truck if the one in it now isn't easily fixable w/o pulling it...... At least the one I have in the garage will get it mobile while I overhaul the one that's currently in it .... That one would then stay under the bench til needed ....

If interested in traveling to Ala I just brought home a perfect body 91 Dakota, no dents or rust except paint where faded. Bumpers tailgate glass and everything is completely straight and perfect glass. I got it for frame to go under my 47 Dodge pickup. Supposedly new Jasper transmission but the 318 was run hot. I will not ship anything so don't ask. I will be taking everything apart down to frame. Will be glad to provide pictures if interested. BTW 318 auto 2wd, thanks Joe

I know where there is a 98 Dakota frame(roller) still has 3.9 and trans, guy who has it has had it running, in NW Indiana. Around kentland area. Pm me I'll give you the number of the owner

And the truck that started this thread still sitting where I discovered it, the guy cam back with a crazy asking price even in light of knowing the trans needs to come out

And the truck that started this thread still sitting where I discovered it, the guy cam back with a crazy asking price even in light of knowing the trans needs to come out
What's his crazy asking price? I found a really nice 96 reg cab short box nearly 4 years ago and got it for 2500. It had been on CL for a long time at 3500. The tires were old and it didn't have a V8 and offered 25. I probably could have got it cheaper because he jumped at it. Discuss the good and the bad points and shoot him a price you are willing to pay. And yeah it's getting harder and harder to find them with a good body and interior these days. The only down side to mine is the dang 15 gallong tank!

If we were closer I have 2-3, 22 gallon tanks here.ive done that swap back when I had my 94. Takes same fuel pump and straps even.
Make ya a deal you couldn't say "no" to.

This guy thought it was worth 1800 with a 3.9 and a bad trans. I have bought 2 with bad transmissions over the years,got my 93 for $500, and my 96, I gave $800 for and that one is even a 4wd.... Still driving that one. And both of these are 318 trucks even. It still hasn't moved an inch.
With the times and inflation I might have given him the same as I did for my 96 8 years ago.... Because it's a long bed and it's got less miles on it than any Dakota that I've owned did when I got them.

If we were closer I have 2-3, 22 gallon tanks here.ive done that swap back when I had my 94. Takes same fuel pump and straps even.
Make ya a deal you couldn't say "no" to.

This guy thought it was worth 1800 with a 3.9 and a bad trans. I have bought 2 with bad transmissions over the years,got my 93 for $500, and my 96, I gave $800 for and that one is even a 4wd.... Still driving that one. And both of these are 318 trucks even. It still hasn't moved an inch.
With the times and inflation I might have given him the same as I did for my 96 8 years ago.... Because it's a long bed and it's got less miles on it than any Dakota that I've owned did when I got them.
I'm waiting on my 95 to bite the dust and then pull the 22 gallon tank from it. Everything on it still works including the AC but nothing works all that good anymore lol. The dang thing still has the original rear brakes on it. The only major thing to go wrong with it was the original computer went bad but it got me home at least then almost didn't mess up at the dealership but it finally did. That was back in 98 shortly after getting the truck but it got replaced for 0. So far haven't had to replace any of the sensors but the TB could use some attention. Well heck, the whole truck could use some attention lol

You are lucky to find them that aren't all rotted. I sold/scrapped both of my 96's. Both were 3.9's, one a 2 wheeler and one a 4. I hated to see them go but the frames were gone. In fact, my friend bought the 4 wheeler for the near new radiator, battery and the tires. He had a heck of a time finding a solid area of the frame to strap the back end onto the trailer. Both front spring mounts were rusted off. I looked for another used Dakota because I like them but I ended up with a 06 Colorado. Not a bad truck but there is a lot I don't like.

You are lucky to find them that aren't all rotted. I sold/scrapped both of my 96's. Both were 3.9's, one a 2 wheeler and one a 4. I hated to see them go but the frames were gone. In fact, my friend bought the 4 wheeler for the near new radiator, battery and the tires. He had a heck of a time finding a solid area of the frame to strap the back end onto the trailer. Both front spring mounts were rusted off. I looked for another used Dakota because I like them but I ended up with a 06 Colorado. Not a bad truck but there is a lot I don't like.
Both of my Dakota's are totally rust free.....no salt on the roads here and very rarely went to Galveston with them and drove on the beach.

Both of my Dakota's are totally rust free.....no salt on the roads here and very rarely went to Galveston with them and drove on the beach.
We call it the rust belt here. Lots of salt all winter long. They spray liquid salt brine solution down now which is worse. It get's into everywhere. Both of my trucks came from small towns that don't have good car washes with under body spray which I really think helps.

We call it the rust belt here. Lots of salt all winter long. They spray liquid salt brine solution down now which is worse. It get's into everywhere. Both of my trucks came from small towns that don't have good car washes with under body spray which I really think helps.
We get a little bit of that brine crap too but it's mostly sand that's used when it gets cold enough to freeze the overpasses etc. Two years ago when we got that hard freeze, I only went down the street a bit to look at some things that were froze up and the restaurant parking lot was frozen snow and slicker than you know what. Talk about slow motion spins lol. Nothing around here was treated but didn't get on any of the highways or bridges.

Back