• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Repairing window regulators

bikinkawboy

Reaction score
I know that '70s pickup regulators are a wear item and are pricey to replace. Rather than sock $100+ into two new ones, I repaired the old ones. On the enclosed photos you can see the result. One side regulator still worked, but the teeth were quite worn, down to sharp points. The other one had 2+" of teeth completely worn down to a nub and would not function at all. Of the stamped out toothed gear, only about 2/3 of the teeth are used and the remaining ones never get used.

I drilled out the rivets and removed the regulators and on the worn one, most of the metal on the worn teeth was still there but splayed out on both sides. A hammer and anvil was all it took to reshape the teeth. On the first photo, the repaired teeth are the ones that are greased. As you can see, there is very little difference between them and the unused teeth.

On the one with the teech totally gone, I took another regulator with the teeth totally gone, cut out a section of metal with the good teeth, cut out the bad teeth on the regulator I was keeping and welded in the good section. You can see the welded area in the second photo. As for reinstalling the regulator, 1/4" drive rivets did the job.

regulator2.jpg

Back