• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rearend Question

Reaction score
Would a disc Brake rear end from a 2001 Dakota R/T bolt into a 89 Shelby Dakota? Could I take the axles from the old rear end and put them into the 2001 rear end? Also would the sway bar off it work too?

When I was researching doing a similar swap with a 2001-02 durango into a 94 Dakota I was told its a direct swap except for the shock mounting locations but I don't remember off hand if that was a durango only thing where the shock mounts were different or if it was just a difference in the years. I think anything past 2003 or 04 whenever the body stye change they are no longer a direct swap.

As for your axle swapping question we would need to know what rear ends you are dealing with? Does the RT have a 9 1/4 rear end and that's why you are swapping or is it an 8 1/4 with a more desirable gear ratio? I am going to assume the 89 has a 8 1/4 because I am fairly sure anything pre 91 or 92 was pretty basic on options. If they both 8 1/4 and the same width you should be able to swap the axles around.

They are both 8 1/4s both have 3.90 and sure grip but the 2001 Dakota R/T rear has Disc brakes and a swaybar. I want the disc for the rear of the dakota. would the sway bar work as well?
So could I swap axels and have a 5 lug disc brake rear for my 89?

I understand now! Your getting more technical into it than what I researched about it, so I can't personally give a hard yes or no answer. Since both are the same rear end from what I understand couldn't you make this swap easier on yourself by swapping just the sway bar and brakes onto your older axle? If this isn't possible how I would go about it than is take an axle our of each rear end and measure both to see if they are the same. If this isn't possible I would just measure the part of the axle you can see without taking them apart like the diameter and the spacing than the overall widths of both rearends. If every which way you measure both is the same I would say its a pretty safe bet you can swap them.

The Dakota R/T never came with a 8.25 rear Not even by accident Dakota R/T only came with 3.92 gears & 17" wheels (the wheels are used to clear the brakes)

The Dakota R/T never came with a 8.25 rear Not even by accident Dakota R/T only came with 3.92 gears & 17" wheels (the wheels are used to clear the brakes)

Whats different about the brakes on the RT rear end compared to the Durango? Durango never had 17" wheels to make up the difference.

When I bought the 2000 model that I had new Every sales person in the place including the service manager swore up & down the brakes were bigger & required the wheels
I've owned & modded a few R/T's & never really paid that much attention
I know the brakes will stop a 5200# R/T from 120MPH easily even with skinnies & slicks on the street

Back