• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Rear Camera Install Advice

LamboTexas

Reaction score
I need Recommendations for rear camera install. I am installing the VanTop H612T dual dash camera system. I have the existing OEM back up camera on the tailgate that i will still utilize. The purpose of the VanTop is for front camera and recording and the rear camera for viewing and recording. I will NOT be using the VanTop as a back up camera. I CANNOT mount the rear camera inside on the rear window as i have blackout tint installed. So the rear camera must be mounted outside. I am including pics with yellow marks where i am considering mounting the rear camera. One thought is on the OUTSIDE rear window in the middle (the trim just below the sliding glass). I realize the bed and bed cover will reduce visibility greatly, but the camera angle is adjustable. Other two options are mounting just to left of the license plate by trailer wire harness connection or on the top middle of the license plate itself. Or the purple mark at the top of the rear sliding glass (if i can hide wires somewhere?)
E53455A6-0B26-4ED7-BDC5-A58C9D964F72.jpeg
B0AD6DCB-7E77-48E6-A022-DDB386BC7B61.jpeg
578B6241-2377-4931-9E7A-CB54A01F32D4.png
F2338A6B-38E7-4BEB-94C0-FBE662CF339B.png
I will be running all rear camera wires thru the firewall and under the truck. What are y'all's thoughts and suggestions on where to mount it? Lot of options that have pros & cons. Thank you in advance!

I mounted cameras on several of the ambulances for the local volunteer fire dep. . I put them above the license plate which gives a good view of the rear and also the ground behind. If you mount to the side of the license cove you will loose some of that sides visibility due to the working angle of the lens. Also it's protected by the bumper recess. Good luck.

I mounted cameras on several of the ambulances for the local volunteer fire dep. . I put them above the license plate which gives a good view of the rear and also the ground behind. If you mount to the side of the license cove you will loose some of that sides visibility due to the working angle of the lens. Also it's protected by the bumper recess. Good luck.
Thank you!

Back