• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Question about painting a truck

Prospect

Reaction score
Okay, seems like a stupid question, but I'm looking for first gen Ram owner's opinions on factory colors versus non factory colors.

I'm going to paint the old Prospector. The original paint scheme was a two tone scheme in sand beige and brown. That color combo was only offered in the Prospector package.

The previous owner painted the beige an International Harvester White, which has a lot more yellow in it, and since I have to get out and do some minor body repairs and rustification in some areas, I'm going to tip and roll topside paint on the truck. I don't like IH White, too much yellow, but I'm not overly fond of the beige and brown combination, but I'm going to keep the Prospector badges on it...so....

My question is this: when I repaint it, I want to repaint it an antique white, but I may not not two tone it. Is this a major snafu for first gen Prospectors?

I know on other Mopar forums if someone repaints a classic muscle car something other than what it came from factory, it's a sin.

Does that same bias on original factory colors carry over to first gen Ram Prospectors?

Just askin'.

(and I've tipped and rolled airplanes, boats, and cars before... with Acrylic Polymer Topside or Aircraft Paint, and it's a doggone cheap, yet tough, and very nice looking paint without spraying... we have city ordinances here that prohibit spraying paint in a private home's garage).

I'm not against "non-factory" colors. I'd like to paint mine go mango or hugger orange. I like the satin black hood/ fender tops/ cowls, but that's me.

What I do and allways tell people Is build it for you ( no matter weather its a truck, car , or a bike ) . That includes paint colors . After all it's "your" truck and your doing it for you and not anyone else . Believe me I know what your saying about the purest out there . I heard from all of them when ever they saw the Charger I had .

What I do and allways tell people Is build it for you ( no matter weather its a truck, car , or a bike ) . That includes paint colors . After all it's "your" truck and your doing it for you and not anyone else . Believe me I know what your saying about the purest out there . I heard from all of them when ever they saw the Charger I had .

I made the mistake of joining a Mopar B Body site when I was rebuilding a 1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus. It was originally a Sherwood Metallic Green, a top selling color in the seventies but never one of my favorite. I was going to paint it the Impact Sassy Grass Green, but all hell broke loose. I wound up selling the car after keeping it flat black, as I bought it.

I even talked about a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner I owned when I was 18 back in 1975, and how it had a power antenna. It was a fun car, even if it was the 1973 Coke Bottle Roadrunners so many purists detest, and I loved that car. It had white interior, leather seats. I had a 20 something year old boy attack on that forum telling me it couldn't have had a power antenna for the stereo because it wasn't a factory option. Well.. what he didn't know was that back in the seventies...if you wanted options, most were put on by the dealer, and Chrysler did have a power antenna option for other vehicles. I was the second owner, (a repo car) and I'd just betcha that first purchaser had them put one on at the dealer before he picked it up.

But yeah...forums can be pretty .....aggressive.

And btw...that hood idea...I want to do my hood in a two tone black..the lower outer edges and the mid ridge where the Rams head sits a gloss black, and the two rectangular inserts a satin black myself. So, I'm with you an that one. The antique white (parchment for a lot of Mopar dudes) and black just look good on the older trucks.

100_1588.jpgCan you guess how the purest reacted to my Charger ? lol And the color is the factory color . lol I built this car back in 80/81 ( for me ) and sold it about 5 years ago .

100_1588.jpg

That was a nice looking charger you put together bear!
Prospect, don't worry about the purist if your like most of us build your rig the way you want it and let the purists waist their money on the correct hose clamp and belts.

I can see it if it's something with a very low build number or some unusal options. I know my 74 dart isn't one of those so I'm building it the way I want it.

Back