• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Problems converting a 88 Ram 318 to a 360

mmadness

Reaction score
I'm working on converting a 1988 Dodge Ram 318 2 bbl throttle body to a healthy, 360 4 bbl carb. I'm adding a Mallory Unilite distributor. I would like to use a stock electric pump in my tank by using a fuel pressure regulator before carb. But, I can't get the pump on and there's no spark coming out of the coil (which is new). What am I missing here? -wiring wise.. does something need a jumper wire, or to be by-passed? Can anyone help? Please and thank you!

Most guys go crazy cutting wires when it comes to this swap.
I used to install performance parts in a speed shop & we checked every Unilite before it left or was installed you would be surprised how many come out of the box bad We used a Mallory tester made specifically for the Unilite.
Is there fire at the coil?

No, there isn't a fire at the coil. I tried two already. :/ Could it be the harness not connected to something, maybe?

any chrysler V8 that has carburators. the version with 4 bbl has cables, brackets , maybe even fuel lines. are different than a 2 bbl version. if you try to use 2 bbl parts on a 4 bbl carb they will bind and might jam. this includes the the bell crank and bracket it is on. the 4 bbl fitting that the cables ect hook up to is more forward and to the left. it is best to get ALL the 4 bbl parts.

Anyone else have any advice? I did just yesterday get a spark at a coil. So there's a slight sign of hope.

the tbi was computer controlled the fuel pump may not work if it had a sensor that let the computer know the engine is turning over. i am not sure about this just a thought. also my dad put a 340 in a 89 short box that had a tbi and was not getting 12 volts to the coil so check that voltage.

the tbi was computer controlled the fuel pump may not work if it had a sensor that let the computer know the engine is turning over. i am not sure about this just a thought. also my dad put a 340 in a 89 short box that had a tbi and was not getting 12 volts to the coil so check that voltage.

If I remember my wiring schematic CORRECTLY for my 90 360, the fuel pump wires went to the computer, then to the tbi. Also, the computer acts as a spark control unit IF I remember correctly lol I'm sure someone with a better memory than mine will chime in and tell us what for...

fuel pump relay

find the fuel pump relay use a jumper wire to the #86 terminal to the battery you should hear the fuel pump run. next remove jumper wire and only hook up wires from the unilite red to positive side of coil green to neg side and brown to ground. also get a coil from a 81 or 82 318/360 that was carburated. then run a jumper from battery to positive side of coil and check for spark. if both of these work you will just need to wire them in the right way.

relay_wiring.jpg

MalloryP1.jpg

the fuel pump is run by the auto shutdown relay, its located on the drivers inner fender and will have a red, green, and two smaller blue wires, the green wire is power to the coil and fuel pump in the factory harness

Back