• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Poor brake pedal

No.1 Special

Reaction score
I didn't notice a Durango slot.... but here it goes.

I have a 99 5.9 Durango. I bleed the brakes to a clear brake fluid and got no improvement. Squishy pedal. I put a vacuum gauge on the manifold and noticed it pulled 16Hg.'s / 17 Hg.'s with the A/C on.

Is this vacuum reading low?
How could I test the booster?

Lastly, theres a on and off hiss, like a vacuum leak from behind the dash. The heater controls do not work. The directional control for air direction. Defrost, floor, combo of the two.

Could this be part of the problem?

I didn't notice a Durango slot.... but here it goes.

I have a 99 5.9 Durango. I bleed the brakes to a clear brake fluid and got no improvement. Squishy pedal. I put a vacuum gauge on the manifold and noticed it pulled 16Hg.'s / 17 Hg.'s with the A/C on.

Is this vacuum reading low?
How could I test the booster?

Lastly, theres a on and off hiss, like a vacuum leak from behind the dash. The heater controls do not work. The directional control for air direction. Defrost, floor, combo of the two.

Could this be part of the problem?
Bingo...vacuum controls under the dash...

OK, I'll take a look. IDK how to get back there, but, I guess it'll be good practice if it all works out for the stero later.

OK, what I decided to do, before I take down the dash, was to take all vacuum lines except the brake booster line and plug it up.
Now the brake booster only has one vacuum line to it. The large one from the drivers intake. The under dash hiss stopped, but brakes still stink.

Booster?
Underside of the intake gasket?

OK, what I decided to do, before I take down the dash, was to take all vacuum lines except the brake booster line and plug it up.
Now the brake booster only has one vacuum line to it. The large one from the drivers intake. The under dash hiss stopped, but brakes still stink.

Booster?
Underside of the intake gasket?
No problem with intake gasket..you said you had 16-17 lbs of vacuum. You might have a broken diaphram in your booster. Is your brake pedal going all the way to the floor?

90+% of the time, yea. To the floor with minor resistance and dangerous braking speed. Slow, preety slow.
These things so seldom brake. It is really the absoulte last thing I'd look at.

90+% of the time, yea. To the floor with minor resistance and dangerous braking speed. Slow, preety slow.
These things so seldom brake. It is really the absoulte last thing I'd look at.
Could be the master cylinder also...if the piston bleads by you would have that feeling also.

Well, IDK which way to go. I hate to just throw money at parts for a guess. A Master is $50 rebuilt, $100 new.

Back