• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Please help! I don't know what the flip is happening!!

THE-HOG

Reaction score
So if you check my recent posts you can see recently the alternator went out on my 75 w100 power wagon with a 318. After putting the new alternator in it was acting like it had no spark. Went though initial timing a good 7 or 8 times. So at this point I assumed the alternator overclocked something in the ignition system. So I put in a new distributor, coil pack, ignition module and spark plug wires. The kit also came with a white ballast resistor I either don't need or can't find the location of. With this new ignition system after initial timing the truck will vibrate a little as if it was combusting and I don't get a gassy flooded smell. So now it's acting like it's combusting but only sometimes. P.S. at one point I may have turned the crank pulley backwards. My reasoning being with a pushrod v8 the cam and crank can never come out of sync. But did I push my oil pump clock out?

Was there a harness with the kit? What application was the kit for? There is a ballast resistor on a 75, it's not hard to see that under the hood. Is the distributor in correct? It's east to get them in 180 out of faze.

Turning the crank backwards won't do anything negative on that engine. Unless.... You turned it backwards a lot with the dist out, them maybe the oil pump/dist drive shaft could walk back and get out of timing. However you should have noticed that because that doesn't usually "fall" back in. You would have had to work to get the dist back in all the way.

Was there a harness with the kit? What application was the kit for? There is a ballast resistor on a 75, it's not hard to see that under the hood. Is the distributor in correct? It's east to get them in 180 out of faze.

Turning the crank backwards won't do anything negative on that engine. Unless.... You turned it backwards a lot with the dist out, them maybe the oil pump/dist drive shaft could walk back and get out of timing. However you should have noticed that because that doesn't usually "fall" back in. You would have had to work to get the dist back in all the way.
JEGS 40500K2: Mopar Ignition Kit Fits Small Block Mopar "LA" Engine 273/318/340/360 - JEGS This is the kit. It is right for my engine, I don't think I have that white block type of resistor, is the harness and resistor for a complete system?

I think I found th culprit though. The alternator went and took out the whole under dash harness too. Damned previous owner clapped the electrical like crazy.

Without the ballast resistor you WILL fry your entire ignition system if it is by-passed, or nothing will work. It should be under the driver-side hood hinge. In the picture (circled in yellow) it's not bolted down like it should be.
01AUG2021 engine bay 1.JPG

Okay, I do have that exact same ballast resistor! Look at that kit and tell me if you think that's compatible though 🤣🤣🤣

Back