• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil sending unit

ram150

Reaction score
Thanks to Bear for advice. I am going to try it tomorrow (today 1st in weeks no rain) & none tomorrow But I have a problem, I can't find my manual & I installed engine 11 years ago & gotten older & forgetful . Could someone tell my what I have to remove to get to switch . .1896 Ram 150 Block is a bored out 318. Thanks JHB

I may be mistaken but I think it's in the rear of the block near the distributor [back in no mans land] i'm thinking that's why I have not installed a direct reading gauge in my 01 [I always install a direct reading gauge in every vehicle don't trust electronic reading].

I may be mistaken but I think it's in the rear of the block near the distributor [back in no mans land] i'm thinking that's why I have not installed a direct reading gauge in my 01 .

That is correct. On the passenger side of the dizzy. I believe it's a very deep 15/16" socket. It's been a minute or two since I swapped mine. IMO your better off just installing some copper tubing and a mechanical gauge, but it's your truck to do with what you wish. :) I hope this helps bud.

I'm not even going back in that cavern almost can't see nothing back there, I may try when i'm on vacation while I'm doing the ball joints ect. and have more time. I like the mechanical gauges they don't lie, on my Cummins I ran both the electrical [factory, you had to due to oil pressure cutoff] and a direct. Probly do the same on this truck just cause I don't like non working gauges.

I'm not even going back in that cavern almost can't see nothing back there, I may try when i'm on vacation while I'm doing the ball joints ect. and have more time. I like the mechanical gauges they don't lie, on my Cummins I ran both the electrical [factory, you had to due to oil pressure cutoff] and a direct. Probly do the same on this truck just cause I don't like non working gauges.

Lol it's a bitc* to get to. And mine was caked in oil and such due to leaky intake gaskets lol

What you need depends on weather you have a factory gauge or an idiot light . If you have the light then they make a special socket for it but you can use a deep 15/16" like Chuckie said . But if you have the gauge and the correct sending unit was put in when you put the motor in then you'll need either a very short 1/2" wrench or even better a crows foot and you'll kinnda have to get under the unit it's self ( the stud part of the unit ) .

oil sending unit is where you said .but it does not look bad ,but full of oil the part it screws into is attached to a horizontal part (appears to be threaded into a part having a nut that a 15/16 wrench fits. My machinist neighbor sasy it appears to have oil on the horizontal piece. P.S. I still have the wrench he made me for the original install

Last edited:
oil sending unit is where you said .but it does not look bad ,but full of oil the part it screws into is attached to a horizontal part (appears to be threaded into a part having a nut that a 15/16 wrench fits. My machinist neighbor sasy it appears to have oil on the horizontal piece. P.S. I still have the wrench he made me for the original install

Mine didn't LOOK bad either lol we both know what they say about looks.

oil presure.jpg You probably blew the seal that seals the stud and the unit because that's supposed to be all one piece or unit . They can make a roil mess when they let go .

oil presure.jpg

Back