• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil pressure at filter

7mopar

Reaction score
Changed the oil and filter on the 1993 Dakota 3.9 yesterday. Drained the oil like usual and proceed to take the filter off after setting for about 10 minutes and still had pressure at the filter. Have used NAPA Gold 1068 filters for years and have never had this happen before. Other than that everything is ok just looking for thoughts on an unusual happening.

Sound like the filter was pressurized . I've seen this happen on a fresh motor when people have tried to pre prime the system and run the pump backwards . But never on a running engine . How is it running now after the oil & filter change ? Any issue with oil pressure ?

The only thing I can think of is that the return must have been clogged up or something and built up the pressure in the filter . Other then that , I'm stumped . :noidea:

If I remember to will ask at NAPA next time in if anybody else has reported a similar experience. Will be interesting to see what happens at the next oil change.

I know it's been a while since we talked about this . But I was working on a car recently that had a stuck PCV and the breather was well over due to be changed and I remembered this thread . Could it be possibly your breather was clogged creating a vacuum condition in your engine ? If you think about it , you have vacuum on one side of your engine ( on the PCV side ) and an air intake ( breather ) on the other side . If one isn't working right , then "maybe" ? This is just a thought or a shot in the dark .

This vehicle had set for a few years before I got it. PVC and filters were among the first parts replacements. Had not given the crankcase ventilation breather any thought, will be giving it the old paper test and see if there is a vacumn pull. The next oil change is still a ways off, it will be interesting to see if it happens again.

Yah , Like I said . I know it's been a while and it was just a thought . At least you know I didn't about forget you ! lol

Back