• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New truck bed heights

7mopar

Reaction score
Just do not understand the concept of new truck design! I am 60 years old and heaving 90 lb tool boxes 3 ft off the ground to put them in the truck bed just appears redculess. The old 93 Dakota is at knee height and still manageable. Waist heigh is just simply silly. Any body else have this problem?

How often do you have to take your tool boxes on and off your truck ?

How often do you have to take your tool boxes on and off your truck ?
It varies some day once others more often. I tried by accident removing the ends of three fingers on my left hand this fall fortunately I still have them. But it has made life difficult while they heal. We have been looking at different vechicals to try to eliminate the need to unload the boxes most commonly used to get to other tools. The new trucks are just not practical.

I wonder if it has anything to do with everyone under 30 lifting any truck they own, and having done so since the late 90's. Every manufacturer has an off road variant, a Black version, and has tried to incorporate any successful aftermarket product into their own lineup. The product I don't like is the in bed tool boxes. Why have a truck if you can't carry anything wider than 3 1/2 feet?

That is where we are at with the Dakota. 3 1/2 foot between wheels and about 6' 6" long. With the topper on to protect the tools any thing 4' wide is impossible and a standard house door is to long to shut the tail gate.
We have considered an extended mini van at least them we would have 4x8 floor space and 3 door access. Just do not know how well they would handle the weight.

Back