• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Exhaust for the 87 D100

65 Dartman

Reaction score
A Mopar buddy and I installed a new exhaust sytsem from the manifold to the tailpipe on my slant-equipped 87 D100 today (no pictures - forgot to take some!). I used an 80/81 or so headpipe w/o the mini-cat, a new Hi-Flo cat and a new stainless steel flow-thru muffler plus the 2 sections of pipe I had previously bent to match the small diameter originals - from the headpipe to the cat and from the cat to the new muffler. Need to get an O2 sensor as the headpipe is equipped with an O2 bung. Leaning towards a wideband sensor with an air fuel gauge in case I ever get the urge to FI the slant. Looks like the whole system is 2 1/4 ID so it ought to flow pretty good.

So I VA do you still have to have that truck pass emissions? Here anything over 25 years old only has to pass a safety inspection.

So I VA do you still have to have that truck pass emissions? Here anything over 25 years old only has to pass a safety inspection.

Down in Northern VA and in other conjested areas like the Tidewater area, they have to pass both emissions and a safety. Out where I live all they check is to see if you have a cat - not even an underhood look.

Down in Northern VA and in other conjested areas like the Tidewater area, they have to pass both emissions and a safety. Out where I live all they check is to see if you have a cat - not even an underhood look.
Kept your old cat and punch out the inside to make a real flow through cat...cheap and no restriction:boink:

Kept your old cat and punch out the inside to make a real flow through cat...cheap and no restriction:boink:

The original cat's inlet and outlet were not even close to being 2 inches in diameter - talk about a restriction! The one I have now is supp-osed to be a high flow - if the inlet and outlet sizes are any indication - should be no problem. Whole exhaust system is 2 1/4 to 2 3/8 ID all the way from the manifold out the tailpipe - maybe too big for the slant but guess I'll find out.

The original cat's inlet and outlet were not even close to being 2 inches in diameter - talk about a restriction! The one I have now is supp-osed to be a high flow - if the inlet and outlet sizes are any indication - should be no problem. Whole exhaust system is 2 1/4 to 2 3/8 ID all the way from the manifold out the tailpipe - maybe too big for the slant but guess I'll find out.

Nah. 2 1/4 is just right for the slant. For no more a modification as it is, its a decent improvement

Received the AEM kit before we went to the Nationals. Now gotta find time to get it as well as the HEI conversion installed,

Back