• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help: sloppy steering 79 W200

stepper

Reaction score
My 1979 W200 has pretty sloppy steering. Does anyone know how to pinpoint what it could be?
For instance, could the steering box itself be bad? Or could the knuckle be worn out? I'm new to the truck and this year of truck. So, if anyone has input to help me troubleshoot before I go tearing things apart and throwing money at it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks guys.
Mike

Don't just throw money and parts at it and hope you find the problem . Jack up the front end and check it first . If you've never done this before then here'a a couple of idea's for you . You can jack up eather one side at a time or both , thats up to you . Lets say your doing one side at a time . After it's jacked up shake your wheel / tire from side to side and if there's any play side to side then look at your front end while your shakeing the tire ( ie tie rods , drag link , pitman arm etc. ) also look at the amount of play you have at the pitman arm ( part that comes off your steering box ) . allso while you have the tire off the ground take a large pry bar and put it under the tire and lift up slightly and see if there any play that way . If there is play that way look at your upper and lower ball jounts to see weather the play is coming from one of though's or both . I allmost forgot . If you want to just check for play in the box it's self then before you jack it up , have someone behind the steering wheel moveing it from side to side while your under the hood watching the steering shaft to see if there excessive play at the box . Hope this helps .

Great advice for checking the front end. I would follow this advice. I have had a couple 70's Dodge trucks, especially 4x4 that have had a worn steering gearbox. Not sure what causes them to wear but I suspect a bad seal. I've had more than one with a leaky seal that probably contributed to the wear.

Thanks guys. I'll tackle it in full this weekend. tonight i started by having someone turn the steering wheel while I watched the steering links/system below. The pitman arm appears to be fine, initially. I'll dig into it and will repost findings. Thanks again guys.

Back