• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help identifying truck specs

Hank Rearden

Reaction score
I just purchased a 79 d200. I'm trying to buy parts but I need to know if it has a 4000 lb front axle or if it is "heavy duty". I turned wrenches for fifteen years and sold parts for fifteen so you would think this wouldn't be that hard for me to figure out. But I can't find any reference to this at all on the truck. The tag on the door says 8100 gvw and i can't find a sticker or anything else. The vin won't work in any of the vin searches at the parts places as they are all built for 81 and up.
Also the man i bought it from claimed it was a camper special. But there is no marking to indicate that anywhere. There is a "custom" badge to indicate the trim level but nothing else.

I feel really dumb asking this but does anyone have any idea how to tell what this si so i don't have to order and return a bunch of stuff?

go to a good parts web site and write down the numbers of the inner grease seals and inner and outer bearing numbers. after you write them down, you will need to pull one of your wheels apart and compare your part numbers to what you wrote down. that should tell you which axle you have. also look for sticker that may be on the underside of the hood for frt axle wt.

Heavy duty usually uses a monster sized steel master. My 83 was not even listed in NAPA's normal parts section and took some looking to find it. Don't remember but it's 4500 or 4800 lb. axle.
Think someone may have been pulling your leg to make a truck sale.

A D200 has control arms up front, doesn't it? With the 8100 lb have, I'm thinking you have the lighter duty front end.

I know the front shocks are different. Have a heavy duty light duty front set here with very few miles on them thinking they would fit the D350. No way do they even begin to fit.
Not sure what all changes from the 200 front to the 300. I do know series parts were pretty much the same threw the years other than heavy duty.

Usually, a heavy duty axle will have larger brake capacity, i.e. heavy vented disc, or larger brake shoes. Also there would be a stamped steel number ribbon somewhere on the pumpkin. Dana should be able to shed some light on it.

IIRC, the 3600lb rating used 1/2" wheel studs and the 4000lb rating used 5/8"

Back