• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

motor change out question

Dan Brooks

Reaction score
I have an 81 step side, eventually i'm gonna change the slant four speed out to a 360 four speed. My question to you guys who have done this is what four speed should I look for to come up in the same side position that my current od trans come up through the floor at? either an A.B or E four speed?

What wrong with the one you have? Other wise a B trans would be the right length and bolt in using the same mount.

A b/e using the rear shifter mount position is an exact swap for the A833 o/d transmission, that's what I have in my old truck. The one I'm using is from a 71 Challenger I think.

Agree with all others, you want the B/E/Truck long tail shaft transmission. But as somebody else posted, that is exactly what you have currently behind your SL6 so why look for another? If your current transmission has an aluminum gear case you will gain a small measure of strength by switching to an iron cased trans. Disagree with Polara_500 that pickups utilize the rear mount shifter position. All the 833 4spd trucks I've seen use the front shifter mount position but with an adapter plate unique to trucks that moves the shifter back (and up) towards the seat approx. 1/2" - 1". So for proper alignment in floor hole you should reuse the trucks shifter and shifter mounting plate on whatever long tail shaft 833 trans you might purchase.

Yeah, it could be the forward mount position, it's been years since I've been under the truck or reviewed any pics, and there is indeed a specific truck mounting plate. The weakness of the o/d transmission is the issue, mine lasted about 2 to 3 years after install although I did exceed (grossly) the factory max tow ratings for the o/d transmission which I think was around a max of two thousand pounds, but ran the standard 833 for another 10 years towing even more with zero issues until I roasted my clutch. Parked it then and it hasn't moved since.

@ polara_500 - Do you remember if your original O/D trans that failed had an aluminum gear case or cast iron.
@ Dan Brooks - the factory made several variations of the O/D 833 transmission. An all aluminum one, an all iron one, and a hybrid one with an aluminum gear case and iron tailshaft housing. So identifying which one you have may help you decide if it is necessary to replace it. Given Polara_500's experience if you plan to tow heavy you may want to consider an all iron, non O/D replacement.

Mine was an aluminum case, the weakest version, (still under the bench in the garage). I could likely have done the countershaft rebushing procedure but I had the iron case non o/d available so I just stuck that in, and didn't really notice any big fuel mileage changes but it was more fun to run thru the gears. The only issue with that was the 3/4 shift rod, using the o/d truck shifter that uses the flipped lever on the trans on a non o/d trans meant the rod wasn't the right length and needed to be messed with to get the proper length. I don't remember the exact solution anymore but that shifter mount plate was the source of the problem.

OK, so my old step side which I drive occasiolaly and never hauls anything would be more than comfortable reusing the aluminum case trans behind the 360 for now? while i look for something heavier for when it might have issues in the future? all i'd have to do is change the bell housing right? How would i find out which trans is currently in the truck?

and whats your thought with staying with the 8 1//4 rear end? is it strong enough for any use under normal conditions?

Yes to changing bell housing to install a V8. But you'll also need the proper flywheel and clutch assembly. You will likely have to modify your cross shaft (Z bar as some call it) mount to bellhousing. Deternmining trans is as easy as cleaning the road gunk off. Your 8 1/4 rear will probably hold up fine unless you enjoy 5000 RPM clutch drops leaving the traffic lights in your town. :)

1978 D150, I swapped in a 1971 vintage A833 4 spd in place of A833 OD no issues other than swapping 3/4 lever position and adjusting rod. Shifter mounts directly to rear mount on both transmissions. If you are keeping 360 at stock power A833 OD should work fine. If 360 was with auto trans, most likely crankshaft was not drilled for oilite pilot bearing, couple options, cut off about 3/4” of input shaft and use new style pilot bearing that fits in crankshaft register or have crank drilled out (I would suggest still using new style pilot bearing. As mentioned you will need small block bell housing, flywheel, clutch assembly. You might be able to reuse your existing torque shaft (z bar) and figure out any mounting issues, should be pretty close. You can buy new (aftermarket) or rebuilt A833 4 spd, $$$$. Check out Brewers Performance, A833 experts, don’t use email to communicate with them, calling is better.

Back