• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Marine/Deep Cycle batteries in diesel pickup?

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
I've used deep cycle batteries in gas pickups before with good results but it's been years. I might drive my 97 Dodge diesel once a week but there's been times it has sat for 2+ weeks and am wondering if a deep cycle battery would be better to use. The ones in the truck now are 10 and 7 years old (don't ask how that happened) and have been on the weak side for over a year now. The are group 27 with 750 CCA and the same size deep cycle is 675 CCA. The 750's spin the starter pretty fast and even when they are at 12.2v, it spins good enough to start up ok. And before you say they are more expensive, the Duralast is 100 ea. and I've have good results with the Duralast line even though it's from Auto Zoned Out.

DJ

I may be going the deep cycle route for an auxiliary battery and have also thought about the long term nonuse factor. I maybe going to solar maintainers to take care of that problem.
The biggest reason for possibly going to a deep cycle is on count of inverter use. Normal batteries don't like to be drained to the almost dead state and brought back.

Back